Strange Incabloc Hybrid

icius

I just started working on a Roamer with a ST 96 Movement in it.  On top of the balance cock, the spring appears to be Incabloc, but under the main plate I am faced with this.

post-752-0-89052300-1429032150.jpg

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how to I remove the cap jewel for oiling on this?  

Thanks for the help :)

That is correct, icius, the pegwood won't harm the jewels and you can use it for removing any old caked oil. It is a standard practice. Be careful with sensitive stuff like the spring proper. If you are not completely satisfied with the result you can always soak the part in solvent for some time and then rinse accordingly. The only trick with the pegwood is that you need to reduce the diameter at the tip enough for it to do the job...a long tip not a pointy short one.

Be very cautious with the pegwood...you don't want a bit broken off in the jewel hole. Whittle it down carefully and make sure you go in dead straight to avoid breaking the tip.

I would try dousing the jewel hole with lighter fluid and 'wick' it up with a tissue. You should he able to see traces of dirt on the tissue if you're sucessful. Just wick u the fluid don't wipe the jewel as tissue leaves a lot of fibers behind .

Anil

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Think I'll try the dousing first. I feel like there is a 99.9% chance I will break off a piece of pegwood in there. Not sure if this strange spring is some kind of repair or if this is how it originally was. One of the other jewel holes is a closed jewel as well. All in all I'm not impressed with this design from a serviceability perspective.

Hi Icius.

taking a closer look, could it be something like a freeze plug you find on cars..?

I can imagine the washer/ring with prongs to be slightly dished, you insert it with the 'dish' bulging upwards and once in place use a blunt stake to press the inner parts/prongs inwards.

There seems to be a lot of room under the ring.. I would try to see if it lifts off.. that jewel hole would be bugging me if I kept the watch and I wouldn't sell it on if I cant get it properly cleaned. If it goes wrong...well theres a lot of ST96 movements out there!

a lot of weird stuff around before Incabloc..!

Anil

Give it a soak in acetone for a day to soften the muck, then assemble the balance onto the bare plate. Now put the plate complete with balance in a small jar with just enough lighter fuel to cover it, then blast for about ten minutes in an ultrasonic cleaning bath. The ultrasonic tank should be filled with water, and the jar containing the lighter fuel and plate should be placed in the water. It works for me!

NB. DO NOT PUT LIGHTER FUEL DIRECTLY INTO THE ULTRASONIC BATH!