Oyster Watch Company--is this precurser to Rolex Oyster??

I found this today in my box-o-watches.  It has problems, but it may be worth fixing.  I did a little research and it appears that it might be a watch from a company acquired by Rolex.  I am gonna continue my research, but maybe someone on the forum has some thoughts.

There appears to be a spelling issue with Ralligh...cannot make it out, but there are definitely two "l"s

2021-05-05 13_04_55-Photos.png

2021-05-05 13_04_31-Photos.png

2021-05-05 13_03_53-Photos.png

Not seen exactly the same dial, but the R.W.C. on the case does signify it's a Rolex. 

Well worth servicing.

I got this in a vintage three watch bundle recently, I'm in the process more research now.

It and it's mate definitely in line for service.

DSC08085.JPG

DSC08091.JPG

DSC08100.JPG

• Like 1

It's a Rolex.

It was made around 1940 for the Canadian market.

The movement is a cal 95 and had rwc stamped below the dial.

It is basically a FHF 30 with some modifications.

There were many different names for them like Oyster Junior Sport, Raleigh, Victory, Sky Rocket, Grenville and some more I forgot.

I have 2 both need parts one needs jewels and one needs hands. I do not always have the cash to spend on my hobby so they have been sitting a while. The crown is going to be a challenge to find or really expensive. It has brevet and oyster on it.

maybe we can be of some help for each other as I have not been able to find the right crown tube for both my watches and your's looks in tact.

I have added some photographs of mine and a copy of the 1940 brochure.

IMG_0698.JPEG

IMG_0699.JPEG

IMG_0696.JPEG

IMG_0697.JPEG

1940 - 0710.pdf

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tony13 said:

maybe we can be of some help for each other as I have not been able to find the right crown tube for both my watches and your's looks in tact

I am not sure if I want to invest in this piece because finding the parts may be vary hard as you have observed.  It is probably worth some decent change but it seems rare enough that Ebay listings are pretty sparse...so accessing the value will take some time.

59 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

parts may be vary hard

Nah, the parts you need are quite common and easy to find.

All I need is the measurements of the tube and how it is mounted in the case, a good quality picture from the inside and outside would be really helpful for me.

Further the inner diameter of the hole and outer diameter of the threads.

If you are not too fussy about the crown you can simply use a blank aftermarket 6mm crown or be patient and look for one on Ebay they do show up I just think 150 euro for a crown is too much.

There not that rare if you search for them they show up quite often most people just do not know they have a Rolex.

As for it's value there worth somewhere between 350  for a non runner and 1000 euro for a good one depending on the state of the watch.

Leave it on else you might end up with the same problem as me. ?

Pictures will do. I think the crown tube is screwed in and than later soldered but I did not have the tubes with either of the watches.

I only need to know how it is mounted.

Edited by Tony13

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hi. Use a PVA based glue, gorilla glue it dries transparent then do as advised by Old Hippy, smoothe down using very fine  0000 wire wool and either French polish or beeswax for a finish.
    • Hello and welcome to the forum.    Enjoy
    • The problem with oil in particular 9010 is it likes to spread. This is why you're supposed to use epilam anywhere it's used to keep the oil in place. Then you want to splurge on money you could buy 941 it's actually an oil that existed before 9415. Then the problem with the grease yes it stays in place but if you have too much you lose amplitude. Then if you get really obsessed with this he would follow Omega's recommendation for escapement lubrication. One of the problems with internal documents of the watch companies is typically are never going to see Them.But a few of them out in the wild for instance at this link Below I searched for the keyword of working. In particular working instructions of the Omega watch company for which there is way more than This but this is all they have. So you want to download number 40 as were going to talk about that and also download Number 81. Plus anything else that looks interesting https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/search?SearchString=Working Then number 40 covers lubrication of the watch. Most interesting is lubrication of the lever escapement under three different conditions with Lubrifar Which you probably no longer have has been washed off without which is what you have and then a course with epilam. Notice how they go supers super minimalistic with the 9415 because if it's too heavy you lose amplitude. Then if you lose amplitude the group will be disappointed with you and the end of the world will come.      
    • You would always get an answer John, you dont need to be dramatic or humerous to get one, but it was appreciated anyway 🙂 Kind of, for those of us that wish to stay in touch and continue to learn from each other in case the forum ever dissappears then yes i suppose so . I  hope that you would also count yourself in , what we learn from you is invaluable,  how you benefit from that exactly I'm not sure, being able to teach ? I did say is it ok to ask mark for some input John and suggested that he might read the thread that explains how some of us feel. I dont see how its really discussing forum policy, but in all honesty i wish i had never even bothered now.
    • While you might have seen it as a humorous/Dramatic remark was done very deliberately so I could get an answer. Let me quote myself? The simplistic of this entire discussion is the group would like the last forever.   If you go to the top of the discussion group you'll find something to click on that says staff. Then you click on Mark's name and you find out interesting things? For instance he was last here on Saturday so yes he is here. If there is a crisis or a problem he is going to be here. You will also find a list of his activity although that's only the public activity. There's a lot of work that goes into running message boards and he probably does a lot of stuff in the background that we don't see to keep it going. Unfortunately message boards do not run themselves. Then regarding this did you notice you can message Mark and ask him. Then if somebody, we could elect somebody from this discussion such as @Neverenoughwatches To reach out I would really keep the message super simple like? You could refer him to this discussion but I would really keep it simple Like for instance the group enjoys his message board and what could we do to keep it going Forever? Then regarding all of the other suggestions comments helpful remarks or ideas? When was the last time any of you bothered to read the message board rules? This is covered which is one of the reasons I did the dramatic things I did to provoke a response of the basics as opposed to starting to suggest or seemingly suggesting all sorts of ideas which are covered by one of the rules found in the section on rules. In other words I'm going to quote something from the rules of the message board.