My Older Seiko

Hello to all..I bought this Seiko 5 automatic last year for pieces but i'd like to make this Watch works but the movement is missing some pièces, especially the automatic system and its a 6119 .. this Watch has a calendar day/date but the day does not working but it is different my other Seiko ( my avatar ).. here is a picture. ( sorry i took this picture with my web-cam..

So my question is: how much cost a 6119 automatic movement ? and is it rare or not and where can i find one , the year of this Watch please.thank you

Informations about this Watch :

Seiko 5 automatic 6119 - 5420

serial : 152342

Japan J

post-93-0-25737400-1392765430_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeikoWatch

A common movement based on the 6106 made in 3 variants - 6119A, 6119B & 6119C I believe the only difference between the models is the date setting mechanism & calendar. Plenty of parts on ebay or just buy another watch for parts. Your watch is from May 1971.

The other difference is that the A model has 2 screws holding the rotor instead of the normal 1. The model number is stamped on the rotor bridge. You should be able to use any of the variants within this case. The date is changed by pushing the crown in, sometimes dirt build up between the case tube & the crown will stop this working. On the C version if you push the crown in harder it will change the day as well.

Hi Seiko,

If you PM me your address I have a 6119C movement which has no date wheel attached but you can gladly have. Ticks away nicely. I bought a junkers lot off the bay a while ago for a couple of pounds for a case but to my suprise it had 6 seiko movements included in various states.

Sounds like ash145 has got exactly what you need. Should be a simple swap. A lot of the parts will probably be interchangeable, in fact many Seiko parts are interchangeable between different calibres. Enjoy the rebuild.

Edited by Blacklab

yes Blacklab  depending of the state of the movement, I'll just make a swap...My own movement has a broken piece, and missing the whole part of the automatic...

However, i have no time for oiling the movement and my eyes are not so good now .I'll probably wear the watch until it stop and I'll do the clean and oïl later :)

Edited by SeikoWatch

• 1 month later...

Hi all... Finally, I took the time to reassemble this missing piece on my 6119C movement ( Changed and Just rebuilted the automatic rotor in it )...I thank you Ash145 for the movement.. later i will oïl the movement but for now my Seiko works great...she keeps an excellent time.. about 5 or 6 seconds a week not much for this older Watch hey !..... ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all :)

Just to revive an old thread, a friend has asked me to have a look at his Seiko, just like the one in the photo at the top of this thread.

Everything is working fine - he hadn't realised it was a self-winding automatic and not a quartz movement (he was given the watch by somebody else). So he simply hadn't wound the thing up to get it going. The position of the crown on this watch makes it tricky to wind, actually - I have big fingers and can only wind it by running a finger under the crown - I can't actually hold it and turn it.

Now - the problem: the date advances every 24 hours, so I laboriously wound the clock forward almost a month until it shows today's date. But I can't find out how to change the DAY of the week. And the day is sometimes shown as MON, TUES, etc, and in between it shows as Roman numerals.  The crown only pulls out one click, to set the time. There seems to be no double click, either beyond the time setting, or before it, to change the day of the week etc.

Is anyone here familiar enough with this watch/movement to give me a hint how I can change the day and/or date directly?

PS: I saw the bit a few posts up about pushing the crown in to change the day/date etc - but that doesn't work on this watch. There's no "in" position for the crown - it already sits pretty flush with the case. Can pull it out the one click to set the time, but I can't find any way to change the day of the week. The date number changes at midnight, so as mentioned, I did that by winding the time forward umpteen days. But of course, the day of the week is not correct - I need to set that separately.

Edited by DrRock

Nearly all earlier Seiko's will not wind from the crown, you normally get them started with a few shakes. See my second post in this thread regarding day/date setting.

Thanks for the replies - appreciated.

However, this 6119 movement appears NOT to work in the way described above, by pushing the crown in. In case there was dirt of something blocking the crown being pushed in as mentioned above, I pulled the crown out (it's a tiny push-button release near the crown stem), took the movement out, re-inserted the crown, and tried to push the crown in while there was theoretically nothing to stop it being pushed in, such as the case itself, or a build-up of dirt around the case aperture. But that crown did NOT want to be pushed in, no matter how hard I pushed. And I pushed HARD...!  There are two fine-toothed, large diameter gear wheels with a tiny ratchet spring that appear to line up with the date, but moving those didn't move either the date or the day. From the exploded view on the PDF that Clockboy kindly posted, these are labeled as Ratchet wheel and Transmission wheel.

In the PDF, it says the day can be changed by continually moving between 10 and 1 o'clock - but it doesn't on the one I have. Also, it says that repeatedly pushing the stem in should change the date - but it doesn't on the one I have.

I'll look through the PDF in more detail (thanks for that one, Clockboy - appreciated) and perhaps pull the watch further to pieces to see if something deeper in the works is either jammed or missing.

Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated.  I'll post back here if I have any success.

Edited by DrRock

PS: Just spotted that the PDF is for a Seiko 6106A (Seiko Five Deluxe) - is that the same as the 6119 movement?  It certainly LOOKS very similar if not identical, but ???

I see from Blacklab's post further up that the 6119 is BASED on the 6106, but are there any differences I should know about before attempting to dismantle this 6119?

Edited by DrRock

My Seiko 5 - similar movement - sets day and date with the crown pulled out. Winding one way changes the day (English and French days alternating) and winding the other way changes the date. I forget which direction sets which function.

Thanks for chipping in Will :)  Unfortunately this one doesn't do that either. There is only one "crown-out" position, and that simply adjusts the time, either forwards or backwards. There is no intermediate click-stop on the crown. As others have noted, some apparently change the date by pushing the crown in like a button, but this one doesn't do that. Also, the PDF of the 6106 movement says that one adjusts the day of the week by repeatedly moving between 10 and 1, but again, this one doesn't (yup, I went well past 10 and 2 just in case).

So there appear to be a few differences in the way these things are supposed to work. Depending on my work commitments (patients can be so inconsiderate sometimes!!), I may try to pull the whole thing apart in the next day or two.

Thanks guys - and apologies for the delay in replying, but had a busy night work-wise. Occupational hazard, I'm afraid.

The watch I have has a movement labeled as a 6119A, so that PDF will be handy - thanks Clockboy.

I'm now going to get some shuteye, and then see if the world will leave me in peace long enough to have another crack at this thing!

OK - I pulled the whole thing apart, and it appears that the "Date Corrector Finger" is missing. Completely AWOL...!  And judging by all the scratches on the back of the watch, others have been there before me - many times! They weren't too clever with a crabclaw back opener - lots of scratches from attempted openings. Quite a bit of general dirt and gunk inside the watch, all of which I have now cleaned. I did manage to get all the right bits back in their rightful places, and everything that was working before is working again.

It was quite an adventure, actually - bit like my operating (but don't tell my patients...!). But that "Date Corrector Finger" is definitely missing, and I suspect that one of the previous adventurers into this watch has dropped it or flicked it somewhere. Without that, there is no connection between the crown stem mechanism and the Date Corrector - the finger is what moves the Date Corrector (which IS present).

So I'll return the watch to its owner, tell him he will always be living on Fri 19th, and if he wants it renovated with spare parts replaced, he should take it to a Seiko dealer (and good luck with that one..!)

Thanks for all the help :)

Thanks guys - but I think I've met my match with this one for now. It was just a "love job" for a mate - and it's an old watch that he dug out of his drawer. So while i do love a challenge, I think I'll just give him this one back as it is.