Cleaning day and date wheels?

JohnC

Hi folks,

I need to clean day and date wheels which are painted (or stickered?) brass. Any advice on how best to do this? I don't really want to put them in the ultrasonic. I think a soapy water bath and cleaning back side with brush? Thanks.

Funny you should mention it. I cleaned a Timex date wheel last Friday with warm water/washing up liquid and a cotton bud. It worked on the most part with the dried on oil, and then for the stubborn stuff I used a little lighter fluid gently working it in with the cotton bud. This is all I have to hand and depends on how the date/day numbers are applied, so go careful.

I'm sure there are better methods, and someone will be along to share. I'm no expert. Good luck, post a pick of the before and after.

• Thanks 1

It's funny as in depth as modern tech guides get they never talk about this. Vintage tech sheets you're lucky if they say anything about oiling much less cleaning (some do, both modern and vintage, about what not to clean).

I've always run around the teeth with new Rodico. Pluck off schmutz with same for top and bottom. In 20 years never had an issue. I would never put them in a cleaning machine or use any cleaning products on them, especially vintage,  too big a risk .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1