Put Kundo clock in beat

Willow

Help how do you put Kundo in beat or even know if it's in beat. Strip cleaned oiled new suspension spring clock working but running slow. I have heard different opinions about the beat setting tool and don't know if it's worth buying ? looked at different video's on setting The beat but can't get my head around it 

Ok this is a reasonably simple job. First the pendulum must be absolutely in the middle of the lower cup (ie absolutely level). To judge being in beat the pendulum should swivel equally in both directions. Some put a graded card underneath but I just time in seconds each turn. To adjust I believe it is the screw at the top that you adjust.Looking at your vid its not far out BUT why the wobble is the suspension spring absolutely kink free. To regulate just turn the wheel I have highlighted.

1573298269_ScreenShot2020-11-01at16_30_20.png.c130edba543fa6f7f34f34f2bc7add41.png

682636853_ScreenShot2020-11-01at16_36_00.png.4031cfa9e940f7a504622687b140336f.png

When setting the beat, watch the Escape wheel, and the pendulum, at the same time!

What you are looking for is an equal amount of over swing, as the anchor releases the escape wheel.

Having a marker on one of the balls will be helpful.  As will having movable  markers on the base, two for the full extent of the swing, two for when the escape wheel is released.  When the escape markers are equal distance from the full extent markers, the clock should be in beat.

Beat is adjusted by the screw head shown in the red ring above.  A very small movement of this screw will have a great effect on the beat.

Once the beat is set, I would allow the clock to run at least a week, before attempting to regulate.

At that point the clock, (assuming still running) it will be running fast or slow, adjust by turning the arrowed wheel, in one direction only.  If the adjustment runs out before regulation, then the suspension spring will need changing, either thicker or thinner.

Bod

• Like 1

The beat adjustment tool is extremely good in getting these clocks in beat. You attach it the part that holds the top suspension block, because it has a long handle you are able to get very fine adjustments to put the clock in beat.

If your clock is   wobbling like that it tells me the suspension spring is't straight. After the pallets escape one tooth the pendulum should carry on with its swing then swing back ans escape its next tooth carry on with its swing and both swings should be even. Bad suspension will cause problems. 

Hi  If you have Terwilliger's book there is a graph in the rear section for you to copy as an aid to the timing of the swing and overswing. The wobble is a bit disconcerting.  Again might be prudent to remove the suspension and check it against Terwilligers guide as the suspension may have been changed and the fork is wrong. Although if that's the case it exibit's either skipping or not unlocking. Removing the suspension will enable you to check if its straight or not.  The use of the tool as advocated by Old Hippy enables micro adjustment of the top block and is more sensative than pliers. I have used both methods and the tool comes out tops. Not cheap but essential if working on these clocks.

Thanks everyone for your input yes watchweasol i have the book so will look at the page you mention and I think I will change the spring to be sure i haven't somehow put a kink in it

Edited by Willow
Spelling