My First Project

azwatchman

Looks great! I'm still doing TZ Level 1 and will be sourcing parts to case the movement soon.  I'm going to go with the marine look for the 6498 similar to the picture below from a guy on instagram I follow.

10948757_1773711962854802_616550865_n.jp

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum from a classmate (I really don't say former since the course is for life, once you pay for it!). I took all 3 of them. BTW, is that the Chinese version of the 6497? How was it -- compared with the course's Swiss 6497 instructions -- different? Very nice watch!

Thank you for posting,

Cheers,

Bob

Welcome to the forum from a classmate (I really don't say former since the course is for life, once you pay for it!). I took all 3 of them. BTW, is that the Chinese version of the 6497? How was it -- compared with the course's Swiss 6497 instructions -- different? Very nice watch!

Thank you for posting,

Cheers,

Bob

Is there actually different instructions for 6497/6498 movements?

Thank you all for the replies. Yes Bob it is the Chinese 6497, it is a Hangzhou. It keeps great time. I have a timing machine from Ace Timers. I have checked in all 6 positions and it's positional error is only 12 seconds. It seems to run about 2 seconds a day fast. Now I have only had this up and running for about a week, so only time (no pun intended) will tell the tale. As for differences between the Swiss and this one, there is o difference to the layout or the operation. As for the quality I am not qualified to speak on this matter as I have not had the pleasure of working on a Swiss. I chose the Hangzhou for price. it was only about $80.00 and If I screwed it up I would not be out the money. I will be buying an ETA 6497 of 6498 for a project now that I am confident that I can service it without damaging it. I am doing the TZ school second course and have just completed my disassembly. I bought a Hangzhou clone of the ETA 2836-2 with the day/date and autowinder complications. Wow, it is so much smaller than the 6497 that I have had to buy new loupes. 

Thank you all for the welcome, I have been looking for a resource like this site while I journey down the rabbit hole of each collecting and repair.

William

Bob, no there is not. They use the 2804 but I found a great resource at Swiss labs (Swatch) and they have an animation that was you through the disassembly lube and re-assembly of the 6497.

That is exactly what I've been using even for my 6498.

• Like 1