Citizen 5530A battery change and the watch isn't working

PaulinLA

Hi there

Super basic, and I have zero expertise.  I got the back of the watch off (a Paul Smith that's been sitting in my drawer for years) and switched out the battery with the correct replacement.  To my great disappointment, the movement did not spring back to life.  I have done further reading about needing to jump start some quartz movements, but don't want to do damage by doing the wrong thing.  Does anyone have any advice?  It's clearly not a valuable watch, but it deserves to live!  Excuse my thumbprint on the battery cover.

Ctitzen 5530A.jpeg

It is possible that after storage the oil has deterioated, Using a Line release unit try to get the hands to turn, do this without the battery in the watch if they turn ok then replace the battery and try again. If its still duff it may require dismantling and cleaning and repeat the above if still dead replace movement.  I have attached two documents which will assist you in the diagnosis.   cheers.

Citizen 5500, 5501, 5502, 5503, 5510, 5511, 5530A (2).pdf 0-Basic-Technical-Manual.pdf

On 10/11/2020 at 6:57 AM, watchweasol said:

It is possible that after storage the oil has deterioated, Using a Line release unit try to get the hands to turn, do this without the battery in the watch if they turn ok then replace the battery and try again. If its still duff it may require dismantling and cleaning and repeat the above if still dead replace movement.  I have attached two documents which will assist you in the diagnosis.   cheers.

Citizen 5500, 5501, 5502, 5503, 5510, 5511, 5530A (2).pdf 328.38 kB · 0 downloads 0-Basic-Technical-Manual.pdf 1.52 MB · 0 downloads

Many thanks!