Identification of Pocket Watch Movement

I should be grateful for assistance in identifying a pocket watch movement that I am currently working on. I recovered the movement form a friend's toolbox, it was uncased. The dial has Roman numerals, but no makers name or any other information. The plate over the barrel has the word, BREVET, which I understand is French for patent. It also has a capital M stamped on the same plate. The words AVANCE, RETARD and ANTI MAGNETIQUE, further indicate that it was manufactured in a French speaking country.

The dial side of the movement bears the number 6804.

Cropped Image.png

Edited by Magical
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

• Magical changed the title to Identification of Pocket Watch Movement

Thank you for your replies.

I have attached two further photographs. The movement is wound by a key, with a lever setting. It is approximately 43mm in diameter.

I have also attached a poor sketch, of what may possibly be some form of maker's mark.

Dial Cropped Improved.jpg

Dial Side.jpeg

Makers Mark.jpeg

I don't know the maker, but it appears to be a pin lever watch, missing at the very least the escape wheel and upper escape wheel jewel. If you do find out the maker, and find the parts- you won't find a replacement jewel outside from a jewel assortment- you'll probably find they exceed the value of the piece. Not that that matters if it just to fix for fun.

This is proving elusive.

Your drawing is not the maker's mark and, if it had been stamped correctly, should actually be a complete cross that relates to the word brevet (=patent) . 

You'd think the 'M' could help ... but should that actually be a 'W' (reading in the same direction as the Brevet word) ... or perhaps even a sigma. I've tried looking around all these with no luck plus looked at countless movement diagrams to try and find you a match. No luck. ? I hope someone else strikes gold.

WatchMaker

Thank you for your reply. You've confirmed my suspicions that the cross was not stamped correctly.

You make an interesting point around orientation. The sides of the letter are straight ,more in keeping with an M rather than slanted sides one sees in most modern typefaces for W.