Chronostop Regulator.

fjseal

Dear experts, and those of you who are too modest to say you are experts, (you know who you are!),

I have the back off the Omega Chronostop, and since it is losing nearly a minute a day, I would like to regulate it.

I am posting a photo that shows the regulator and screw, and you can see a 'plus' sign to the right of it.

So I am wondering if you have to loosen the screw to move the regulator.

I am hoping to use the 'Wildspectra' Android app to get a reading, but I won't touch anything until I am confident of what I am doing, so any advice, including "put it away and go down the pub" will be welcome.

As an observation, I have seen aircraft and car engineering close-up in my working life, but watch engineering, especially 'High-end' is always impressive, don't you think?

Regards,

Frank.

post-363-0-25538500-1424550495_thumb.jpg

Hi Frank, the beat regulator is the arm withe triangular hairspring end stud. The rate regulator is effectively in two parts, the co**BLEEP** regulation is made by adjusting the regulator arm that has the hairspring held between the guide pins. The fine regulation is made by the arm the has the fine adjustment screw in it. To increase speed, move the rate regulator clockwise and anti-clockwise to reduce the rate. Use a piece of pegwood or a matchstick to push the regulator arm a tiny amount at a time. Once you have the rate within a minute fine adjustment can be made by turning the small regulation screw.

If it needs a fair fit of adjustment, zero the fine regulation screw to have the pointer in the mid position, this will allow full range of fine adjustment when you are almost there with the course adjustment.

Do not adjust the beat regulator unless you have a timegrapher to allow you to do it accurately.

Edited by Geo

Hi Frank,

I think the screw in the center of the "needle" is an eccentric screw, i.e. it will not unscrew but will allow for ease of regulation when turned (like a cam). To me, it means that with a screwdriver you can gently move towards the + (in your case) that needle. Just what I think it is, let's wait for other, more experienced members and their opinions.

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by bobm12
  • Like 1

t's very hard to regulate a minute a day without a timegrapher . But if you should try anyway .Move the arm in the direction of the arrow . A tiny little itsy bit . The screw that you see on the balance cock is exentric and do the same thing but it is easier to regulate . 

post-644-0-34118000-1424553336_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Geo, on closer inspection I see what you mean about the rate regulator being in two parts.

There is an app called 'Wildspectra' on Android which I will try to get a reading from before I touch anything. It may only work with louder ticks, such as pocketwatches, so I am going to tread carefully.