No Longer Winding

icngacsn

Hello, I'm new to posting on this forum though I have been reading it for some time. I've always been intrigued by how mechanical watches work and have decided to dig in. So this is where I am:

I have a fake watch for practice (pictured below) that has had a few issues. The first was simple (hands fell off) so I purchased a reasonable repair tool kit (based on this forum) and repaired them. More recently the watch stopped winding (by hand/crown and rotor movement), though vigorous shaking will make the watch go for a few seconds, so I'm guessing it's an issue with the main spring... but remember I'm new to this. I have attached some photos of the watch/movement and would like some advice on where to start, ie what to look for as I begin to pull it apart.

IMG_4175.jpeg

IMG_4176.jpeg

IMG_4177.jpeg

If ratchet and crown wheels turn as you try winding by hand your diagnosis is correct, the mainspring is either broke or loosely anchored on arbor hook or worn out hook. Normally you can here the sound of mainspring when power reserve gets released.

In case you intend just to repair, remove the winder module with rotor attached to see bridge lay out, there might be a seperate barrel bridge to remove and wiggle the barrel out.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Its not that easy to know if the main spring has broken because they normally work on what is called a slip spring, that means the spring will only wind so much and then it slips in the barrel. I would check to see see if the auto is winding the spring. To be fair the only way of knowing is the spring is OK is to remove it from the barrel. 

• Like 1