Hair Spring

Len33

Formally from an electronics background, I have now been seduced by the fascinating subject of watch stripping, cleaning and reassembly.

My first attempt went really well until I got to the point of putting the balance wheel back. Somehow, the hair spring got caught up and, in an attempt to remove said assembly, I am now in need of a new hair spring; as this one broke away from just where it secures to the bridge and the brass pin holds it. .(complete with balance wheel would be nice)

The watch dial has:- Services Aerist written on it and was given to me back in the '70s as a non worker.

I have searched, but can find nowhere to obtain a replacement.

Any help would be really appreciated.

This is a difficult task because you need to know the hairspring strength & length. Getting the correct hairspring is very difficult without this information.

If you know the watch make & it,s caliber you might be lucky & find one complete in a supply house such as Cousins (UK) offri (USA) etc.

The alternative is to find another watch movement the same on eBay offered for spares & repair 

Welcome to the forum Len. That's a bit of a pickle you've got with the watch, best to post photographs so folk on the forum can see exactly what you have and what the problem is. A donor watch movement is probably your best option. :)

I found this on EBay, is yours the same? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296-VINTAGE-ARISTON-WRIST-WATCH-MOVEMENT-10-JEWELS-2-ADJ-FOR-PARTS-REPAIRS-/380901861120

Edited by Geo