Hello , All!

Newbie here, haven't torn down a watch yet but am really looking forward to it. I bought Fried's book and am reading it now. Eventually I'd like to find a good movement (ie easier for newbs) to work on. Always happy to hear your thoughts, opinions, and insight as I start this hobby.

Looking forward to learning feom you all and engaging in good shop talk.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum.

On subject of appropriate movement to start with, the consensus here is on pocket watches for their large size, not to mention their parts won't break as easy.

It is always a good idea to get two non runner of the same caliber to assemble a good one out of the two.

Regards

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.
On subject of appropriate movement to start with, the consensus here is on pocket watches for their large size, not to mention their parts won't break as easy.
It is always a good idea to get two non runner of the same caliber to assemble a good one out of the two.
Regards
Thanks! From what I had read the 6497 seems to be a good beginner movement.

1 minute ago, clownbaby said:

Thanks! From what I had read the 6497 seems to be a good beginner movement.

Yes they are easy to work on, however, if you happen to break a part, you pretty well need to buy a second movement and end up with just movement, whereas with two pocket watches both in need of repair, you can end up with a good running pocket watch a plenty of parts.

• Like 1