Cleaning Chemicals storage and precautions

Fraczish

I promise this is not another thread about what to use! I have read the pinned thread on this twice and I'm satisfied with my lighter fluid (until it runs out) and IPA combination.

Just a quick question about storage and precautions as this is the first time I used IPA. The label of the IPA 99% gives all sorts of warnings. I fully understand it's a volatile substance.. is it any more volatile than the lighter fluid ive been using up to now? 

I currently use in a cool, dark, ventilated part of my garage, I wear gloves and keep the water in the US cold. 

The fluids are stored either in the original container or in the little jam jars with lids. Then in a box in the garage. 

Anything I should be more careful of/havent considered?

I keep my 99% IPA in the cabinet in the bathroom. Though TBH, it's only ~80% now (marked as such with sharpie for future reference), because I cut it with some 70% to be able to eliminate a bottle and make some space. The grocery store near me keeps it on the shelf next to the 70% (or did in the before times). Don't leave it open on the edge of the table with one of those bitchy internet cats and you're probably fine.

For truly nasty stuff, I have a steel cabinet in my shop (not the same as where I work on watches). At present, I just leave the doors cracked, and make sure the shop doesn't get too hot or cold. Eventually, I'll get around to putting a vent in the cabinet, and maybe some sort of heating/insulation system. But that's for nasty stuff and whatever fits toward the nasty end of the spectrum.

Edited by spectre6000

Hi  Its always advisable if possible to read the data sheet on the chemical and adhere to the manufacturers instructions,   If spec sheets are not available use commonsense.  spirits ie .    naptha ,benzine ,Ipa    etc keep cool and away from direct sunlight and far away from naked flame.     and as Old Hippy said don.t smoke.