How Would You Sort Out This Case?

jnash

I soaked some of the rusty tools I bought including the tweezers recently in vinegar and a little salt and it got off most of the surface rust.  They were not as bad as that case but I think it worked out well after some #1 and #0000 steel wool.

EDIT: I also neutralized the vinegar with a baking soda/water soak before using the steel wool.

DSC02693.JPG

Edited by BlakeL

hi j, i always soak my things like that in wd40 or similar for maybe looking at yours for about 2 or 3 days changing it as necessary and then finishing off with the wire wool, it dont look like you will damage any plating, come back and show us what it comes out like, could be interesting

I am not sure what it's called in english . But something with Oxalic acid in . I used beatroot juice once . Black tea would do also . it will naturalize the rust and make it black . The rust particles will fall off .

Edited by rogart63

This is not something I have tackled in horology, but I would have thought there were plenty of rust proprietary rust removing products that would do the job. Once you have pickled the rust out of the case, it would require a lot of power and hand work to get (if possible) a smooth finish on the inside and outside of the case before any playing could be applied.