3 jaw chuck

Stevelp

17 hours ago, Stevelp said:

I would like to try my hand at doing some different types of case finishes (circular brushing, radial lines of sunburst finishes etc.), and I,ve seen these finishes done on small lathes with the 3 jaw and the results looked quite good. 

A 3 jaws is fine but you must be prepared to also build your own arbors /expanding mandrels, etc because for certain jobs you won't be able to grab proper, or the jaws will be in the way, etc. Also, some work require the abrasive to be moving with the work steady,.

11 hours ago, vinn3 said:

If you are new to running a lathe,  use a 3 jaw,  jacobs' and collets.  most nubies are afrade of a  4 jaw because it takes much more time to  get it "on center".  with some experience,  a 4 jaw can be put on center in15 seconds.

The thing is that  independent 4 jaws are a real rarity on a true watchmaker's lathe. Feel free, of course, to show us differently.

Can someone here who actually uses a 4-jaw on a watchmakers lathe for case finishing comment on its use, as per the original poster’s query?

There’s no point in speculating about them. I strongly suspect not everyone here discussing them even owns a watchmaker’s 4-jaw  

Here’s my experience: 

I have a 3-jaw and have only used it for circular brushing and polishing of bezels and case backs. It works perfectly well for that application and is sufficiently concentric. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• This seems to be complicated case... We have many variables here and we need to exclude some of them to make some progress. We have plots that show amplitude variations, but we don't know if this variations are significant, as they can be 'amplified' or 'smoothed' by the software. So, some observation of the amplitude by eye will be of help. Then, if we really have not isochronical work, then the main reason for this would be the hairspring being not 'linear'. And not linear may be sometimes not only because 'touching', but because bad hairsping material structure. Some of the advanced watchmakers claim that repairing badly bent hairspring is useless, because this springs will never be isochronic again.  Well, my own observations are that such thing happens, but not in all the cases and it depends on the case if the result is acceptable or not. I will not suppose here that this spring has been repaired, but it has some strange behavior watching at it's work. It will be good if it is possible to test the movement with another balance or thest the balance on another movement...
    • The more common Jewel hole diameters are from about 0.07mm to 0.50mm. Those are the sizes in the Seitz jewel gauge tool.
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • OK, several things to say here. The thought thay if with the old spring the movement works 16 hours, then replacing the spring will solve that - is totally wrong. With a new spring the movement probably will work for 17 hours. The power reserve is practically not reduced when the spring gets weak with the age. It is rather something wrong with the movement. As You worked on the hairspring, we need to  confirm that it is OK now before everything else. So, thake the lever out and do the free oscillations test. What is the result? I expect numbers, not only 'it is good' or 'it is not good'. Then, this is no jewels pin lever movement, so this is not unusual to have not well regulated or even worn escapement, this is the main reason that this kind of watches doesn't work as long and reliable as the jeweled escapement ones. You can find many of them with no wear at the crown and case, and this is because they stopped working normally pritty soon after purchase.
    • Welcome 🙂 Inherited watches are very tricky. Some of them, or all, do have sentimental value, perhaps not to you but perhaps to others in the family. Ruining them doesn't make you popular. Start on innocent watches who do no harm, not to your wallet nor to others 😉 BTW; for in the future it would be helpful to others to mention your location in your profile. Success 🤗