Hello from Canberra, Australia.

Billa84

Good day Everyone :)

I'm a watch enthusiast and would like to learn about watch making (build/repair) as hobby, i'm absolute beginner and zero knowledge about watches.

I pick up my 1st mechanical watch 2 years ago, and it have grow on me over time.

And my recent purchased is a vintage 35mm seagull dress watch with green dial.

And with current lock down situation give me the opportunity to pursue a new hobby.

Hope I get to learn more from all the beautiful person on this forum :)

As a complete novice in watch making, what would be your advice where to start from?

I was thinking to pick up watch books probably a good starting point, any beginner books can be suggested? Preferably with pic info.

There aren't many online "short" lessons that being offered, I found this one https://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Hello and welcome.

Did you take a look at Mark's courses? As good as anything you'll find online.

The first movement I completely stripped was a Seagull 2824 clone. In the process I broke the yoke for the keyless works, stripped the intermediate wheel and lost a spring and a screw. Luckily the parts are readily available and the practice was invaluable. I recommend you get yourself a couple of practice watches/movements, a decent set of screwdrivers, good tweezers, a 5X magnifier and a camera to photograph everything as you take it apart.

Reading is fine, but there's no substitute for hands-on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eccentric59 said:

a decent set of screwdrivers, good tweezers, a 5X magnifier and a camera to photograph everything as you take it apart.

when it comes to investing a tool set, i keep hearing the brand name Bergeon but they quite expensive although i understand the values that it bring. 

but is there any mid tier brand (not any Chinese rip off tool), that is affordable and still get the job done. 

Not sure what you have available to you, but in the U.S. Esslinger's has a full range of sets, from cheap crap all the way up to Horotec and Bergeon. The thing with cheap screwdrivers is they won't rotate without a wobble, they aren't balance and their tips are garbage. They will slip and jump and scratch your movement and frustrate you every time you pick one up. You can find inexpensive sets that work okay, if you want to put in the effort to properly dress the tips.

Hi  I agree with eccentric59   get the best you can afford while beginning  and as you progress then up grade the tools as and when, Who knows in a couple of years you may fall out with the job and give it up and be left with very expensive tools.  It is not the tools ( but they must be adequate) is the person using them and their attitude.  A craftsman watch maker can use any tools better ones make the job easier.   The attached document will aquaint you with the names and parts of a watch.        Cheers

TZIllustratedGlossary (1).pdf