Screw control

This is a basic procedural-type question... When I'm working on engines with lots of nuts and bolts that go in specific places, have various lengths, and other special details (and even when they're all the same just as a matter of good practice), once I've separated two parts I immediately replace each and every screw nut and bolt back where it came from. That way, I have at most a single components' worth of hardware to keep track of (which I usually do by laying them out on my bench spatially as they were removed). If the major assembly is to then go through the parts washer or something, I'll remove the hardware again, lay it out on the bench spatially, clean everything in turn, then reassemble as before. I'm notorious for my swiss cheese memory, and this is a compensation technique that has served me very well for many years.

Cars are a little different though. I noticed in a few of Mark's videos, specifically on chronographs with lots of moving parts beyond the norm, that he does essentially the same thing. Are there any reasons this would not be a good idea as a practice for all types of movements? Could a plate be cleaned with screws in situ like that? What considerations are there that I haven't come up with here?

7 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

I noticed in a few of Mark's videos, specifically on chronographs with lots of moving parts beyond the norm, that he does essentially the same thing. Are there any reasons this would not be a good idea as a practice for all types of movements? Could a plate be cleaned with screws in situ like that? What considerations are there that I haven't come up with here?

Not sure about which Mark's videos whow that but cleaning with screws or other parts left on site is not common in watchmaking. For one, is not said that screws always need cleaning. Then, all unnecessary handling takes time and sliglty increase chances of loosing or damaging something. Also, when using shakers or or U/S cleaners screws would likely come lose making everything more complicated. Recently I've got the the mat below that has recessed and numbered pads, which can be useful in keeping sequence and types.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041009496.html

There are a few videos where Mark does this. Namely, chronographs I assume he's not doing every day (probably not the 7750s). He does a few Venuses as I recall, and I think these likely got the screw replacement treatment. I don't recall if he's running them through the cleaner with the screws in like that, but I intend to go back and watch several of his videos over the coming weeks in preparation for getting started in earnest.

I like that mat... A lot... One rolled and lost screw, under any organizational paradigm, and it's paid for itself. Click.

Then I saw this one... It has "mulit" functions... You can see the party in the back! And it flips over to become handy little lids. :-)

Not common and not a good idea are not always the same thing... Not saying it is just yet, just that I'm an out of the box kinda guy and that way of thinking has never stopped me in the past.

Reasons for:

1) Really hard to mess up where the screws go

2) Minimal mental taxation

3) Requires less space and organizational devices

Reasons against:

a) Screws don't always need cleaning

b) Unnecessary handling increases opportunities for mistakes

c) May become loose in the cleaner anyway, and then you're really hosed.

Counters to for:

1) There are other work flows that handle this; eventually you'll figure it out; it's probably good to know where screws go by magic anyway

2) The whole point of the hobby is that it's a challenge

3) Watch movements aren't exactly large...; you'll figure it out and organization becomes a non-issue

Counters to against:

a) Cleaning isn't going to hurt anything

b) It could certainly be argued that it takes less handling in a hobbyist setting since disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly aren't likely to occur in a single sitting; additionally, the work flow is that every screw comes out, is set down, always in the same area, and there's always space due to only one or a few component(s) being removed at a time, and then it goes right back in until it's cleaned and ready for reassembly at which point it happens one more time; that opens up the space requirement and organization benefits

c) Initially, at least, I'll be cleaning with a brush in jars, so this is not an issue since every part will be cleaned individually and with close attention; It's been a long time since I turned a screw on a watch movement, but I don't recall them being especially loosely fitting and susceptible to jostling out of their holes, especially if turned slightly snug

Edited by spectre6000

1 hour ago, spectre6000 said:

I like that mat... A lot... One rolled and lost screw, under any organizational paradigm, and it's paid for itself. 

Just be aware that being made in silicone it will be more sticky and difficult to clean that the traditional type. Probably many "real watchmaker" won't like that. A lot of things like cleaning, oiling, even what tools to use are very subject to personal preferences, different budgets and schools of thinking.  

Alright... Good point. Fortunately, I dallied and haven't checked out yet. 

If I were to guess, I'd say the traditional option would be leather. That's got me thinking more in terms of work board than work mat... A similar suite of cutouts/indentations could easily be concocted... I wonder if I have any more of that badly dried sapele knocking around in my stash...