Oxidized watch dial?

A professional watch dial restorer is what you need. You won’t be able to do that yourself.  Oxidization can be caused by damp getting under the glass and it can then penetrate under the transfer of the dial, your watch dial is a transfer. It can also spread to the movement; you might want to check the movement for rust.  

A full dial restoration is likely to cost at least £100 (GBP). Plus removing and refitting the dial if you can’t do that yourself - I would be inclined to get it serviced at the same time. See here for example http://www.chealwatch.com/index.php

I would guess that’s an Omega 620 movement in there, and movements / dials do come up on eBay quite often but there are so many variants that it’s hard to find the right thing. You might be lucky and pick up a decent dial for £20 - 30.

Alternatively, if you paid little for it, then enjoy it till it dies and then buy another.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• The watch that got me into watches was a Cyma... I had it serviced shortly after I got it, and the watchmaker informed me it was a German issued officer's watch from WWII. Little tangs around the crystal from a battlefield repair via the tip of a bayonet to hold it in staring at me each time I check to see if I'm late for class... Deep dark history on my wrist without even knowing it... $35 on eBay from Ukraine with no hint of provenance unless you really knew what you were looking at... Which I most certainly did not! I just thought it was cool; didn't even know hand wound watches existed prior to purchasing it! This is definitely a thing. I'm an elder millennial, and graduated college right as the Great Recession hit. Of everyone I went to school with, I knew of precisely one other person to land a job on graduation (excluding things like retail and waiting tables). That gave me just enough of a head start to be able to buy a house right before the market went crazy. I have a few friends that have been able to buy houses, but very few. Not many friends with kids, and those that have them are all older (medically, 35 is the start of "old" for pregnancy). It's anecdotal, but it seems to thoroughly reflect the demographics and statistics I keep seeing...
    • How would you evaluate the teeth on these wheels?  They are from the power side. The chime side looks perfectly perfect.
    • I've used this kind of tool for a couple of years to remove bezels. The trick is not to rely on the screw knob to exert the force to pop the bezel off. I think I've shared how I use this tool before. The trick is to screw the blades down into the gap between the bezel and the watch case, and apply slight pressure only. Then I use a nylon faced hammer and tap on the movable jaws. The small amount of slack in the screw threads allow the tapping to push the blades a little further into the gap. This can be confirmed by the loosening of the knob after a few taps. Retighten the knob and repeat until the tapping does not loosen the knob any further. The blade would have reached the vertical lip of the case. By now, the gap would have widened enough to allow a thicker blade of a case knife to finish the job. I usually put the watch dial up instead of dial down. This way, I can sometimes press down on the watch crystal and the bezel would pop off. But my tool is Korean made, not Chinese. The blades have not shown any wear or damage after two years of use.
    • Sorry about that! I sometimes forget politics are off-limits on WRT (which is a good thing!). I edited my post.
    • I would leave the politics aside. Now they fight for their freedom and potentially ours.