Video - The Human Side Of Watchmaking

I tried that but carrying a conversation with myself always ends in a fight! :)

Seriously now, the use of the tweezers and the proper way to turn them while holding the parts...that's what really got me. One way NOT to drop any more bits!

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for the link - what a great documentary.

It really shows that the "jobs" are really labours of love, and that a prerequisite is more than a touch of OCD (or, as a friend says, CDO: that is OCD but in alphabetical order AS IT SHOULD BE...!)

The whole mindset of being EXACT is not dissimilar to the mindset we need in my line of work. I'm a Thoracic and Vascular surgeon, and operating on the arteries supplying somebody's brain, under a microscope at 45x, can be frustrating to someone who is not of the calm, relaxed, and precise mindset. We weed out those trainees who don't quite have "it" - they often go on to become orthopaedic surgeons! ;)

I'm just starting out messing about with watches, and although I find it engrossing to watch, for example, one of Mark's videos showing how to strip down, clean, then rebuild a movement, the thing that keeps coming to mind is that all those components that he is so lovingly putting together so precisely all have to be made. Somebody, somewhere, has actually created the tiny pieces, balanced the balance wheels, made the hairsprings, engineered the gears and cogs, the palet "teeth" and shaped all the jewels. All before Mark can assemble them. They all have to be created to within a micron or two, as pointed out in the film. And THAT is even more amazing than being able to take a movement apart and put it together again, to me. 

My only other comment is that people who are SO precise in everything they do, and who nudge a picture that is half a degree out of square on the wall, can be very difficult to live with. So I'm forever grateful to my lovely wife (a nurse who is at least as OCD as I am) for putting up with me. And I suspect that most of the characters in that doco would have a delicate balancing act to do in order to keep harmony at home, while being so precise at work.

Thanks again for the link - excellent stuff :)

Thanks for the link. I'll have to re-watch it, as there is a ton of stuff to learn from it. What I took most from the first watching was, "Often...you're too hasty or too irritated, you do stupid things." I've been learning that through direct experience of late. I really have to make myself take a break or even stop for the day when things aren't going well. Watch movements aren't something you can just power through.

Amen to that Don!  I just walked away from my bench as I was getting way too excited about dismantling the hairspring from the balance assembly for the first time.  I decided instead, to finish taking photos and leaving it at that for the night.  I also realized my smallest screwdriver (0.60mm) may not be small enough for the hairspring stud retaining screw :unsure: .

Roger

I certainly is never too late. We have a medical student at the moment, just completed his second year, who is 64 currently. His life's ambition was to become a doctor, and he intends to do that. He thinks that he will have an actualy working life of 3-5 years after he graduates, but I suspect he may go longer than that. He won't be doing any post-graduate specialty training (surgery, etc) but will probably make a very good General Practitioner for several years. And most of all, he is doing it because HE wants to do it. He is coping with the course itself very well, even though his colleagues are all in their early 20s. Many of them struggle with the amount of work, but he is sailing through.

I can sum it up, George: GO FOR IT...!