newbie's CT702 and snk807 Project Questions

afa

Hi all! I am new here, my name is Alex, product designer with great interest in watches newbie in the world of watch modding. Here is my introduction :

I recently got a case from CrystalTimes, some parts, as well as a seiko snk807 to practice on but I need to order more parts. For these 2 projects that  I am thinking to start I have some questions before I start ordering more components and I wonder if any of you has any suggestion.

1. Crystal Times CT702 case - Crown : I have the CT702 case (skx007 looking like a turtle case). Based to CT it is compatible with the CT228 and CT208 crowns. The crown for this case has to be a screw-down crown right? Just to cross check, besides the case has screw threads so I guess this is the case. 

2. Kanji Day Wheel : I am planning to use it either in my snk (7S26) or the CT702 case where I plan to buy a NH36 mechanism (both at 4 o'clock crowns). I bought one kanji day wheel (waiting for delivery) but I did not notice that it is for 3 o'clock crown mechanisms (0160254M).
    However, I cannot find any 4 o'clock kanji day wheel despite that in some forums is mentioned a 0160254S code that refers to 4 o'clock kanji wheels.
    In some forums, articles is mentioned that the 0160254M works fine with mechanisms with 4 o'clock crown, while others mention that there is a misalignment. Does any of you have any relevant experience? 

3. PVD / Ion Plating (IP) or Cerakote(?) : I am thinking of changing the snk’s case. To my understanding, IP is a type of PVD plating. Both techniques seem to have issues with scratches unless, as some state, the thickness is over 10microns. Has any of you applied IP/PVD to your watches? How does it withstand scratches?
    An alternative way is to apply Cerakote that seems to perform pretty well but of course I will have different visual result.
    All these techniques, are they skin friendly?

4. 7404 Bergeon Watch Hand Tool : Also waiting to receive these tools. I watched numerous videos of people setting hands using 7404 Bergeon or other similar tools but none explains how you choose which hand-tool size to choose to set the right hand. Do you need to measure with a caliper the stem and then the hand’s hole? Because all mention that if you use the wrong hand-setting tool you are most likely damage the hand (especially the seconds one).

That is all for now. Thank you very much for your time and any information you can share regarding the above questions.

c1.JPG

k.JPG

This day dial is not kanji, it's chinese. If it is for a watch with crown at 3 then it will be misaligned with the dial day window in a case with the crown at 4.

Edited by aac58
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, afa said:

I watched numerous videos of people setting hands using 7404 Bergeon or other similar tools but none explains how you choose which hand-tool size to choose to set the right hand. Do you need to measure with a caliper the stem and then the hand’s hole? Because all mention that if you use the wrong hand-setting tool you are most likely damage the hand (especially the seconds one).

Just look what is the smallest hole size that fits. For the seconds hand the pointed. It is not difficult but I recommend that you practice well first on watches of no value and for each hand pay observe that turns horizontal after having set it.

Also, there is no "mechanism" made for crown or calendar in a given position. What changes are the case, dial, and wheel(s).

Edited by jdm
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aac58 said:

This day dial is not kanji, it's chinese. If it is for a watch with crown at 3 then it will be misaligned with the dial day window in a case with the crown at 4.

Hehe, indeed! I should be more specific and precise!
Hmm.. thanks for the information. But really, there is no way to find Chinese or Kanji day dial for watch with crown at 4...

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Just look what is the smallest hole size that fits. For the seconds hand the pointed. It is not difficult but I recommend that you practice well first on watches of no value and for each hand pay observe that turns horizontal after having set it.

Also, there is no "mechanism" made for crown or calendar in a given position. What changes are the case, dial, and wheel(s).

Ah, ok! So, it is actually the way it is placed the mechanism inside the case... So, this answers also the day wheel misalignment...

I guess, would it make any difference if I would change the day wheel cog to the one of a crown at 3 o'clock mechanism because the day wheel i got does not include this cog.

Capture.JPG.6cc411c58963e910f8a2aaa8f73a78e6.JPG

40 minutes ago, afa said:

I guess, would it make any difference if I would change the day wheel cog to the one of a crown at 3 o'clock mechanism because the day wheel i got does not include this cog.

Capture.JPG.6cc411c58963e910f8a2aaa8f73a78e6.JPG

That is just the day/date corrector wheel and it does not affect alignment in any way, otherwise, it would have mentioned to you.
You can try lifting and gluing the gear on the back of the day disc.
Maybe it's just me but I don't get the importance of having a particular 2nd language on a day wheel. In fact many modders like to use a dial without day at all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jdm said:

That is just the day/date corrector wheel and it does not affect alignment in any way, otherwise, it would have mentioned to you.
You can try lifting and gluing the gear on the back of the day disc.

Ah! Thank you for the clarification!
Your proposal make sense but the disc look so so fragile, I would be scared to do the change.

37 minutes ago, jdm said:

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the importance of having a particular 2nd language on a day wheel. In fact many modders like to use a dial without day at all.

We are a bilingual family and as such I would like to have a watch with both languages :-)