ETA959.001/Omega 1377 Repair

Hello boys & girls !

lately my grandfather asked me to look why his old Omega Deville wasn’t working.

After opening it I understood that the screw of the battery clamp (the one on the circuit board side) cannot be screwed down, like if some screw length was missing, but doing some research the screw seems to be the correct one and do not seems damaged too. 
Therefore is there a way to move the black platicky round (on this screw hole/visible from the dial side) that is supposed to maintain the screw (like pushing it down from the dial side with a Horia) / or replace this part (if this means the plasticky thing’s female screw cut has gone bad).

Thank you for you help !

76E653DA-3F3E-4A67-B1F0-C83885EA8820.jpeg

933AF662-42A2-4D00-AABA-8A30591F8116.jpeg

Even with that screw missing the module should work anyway, so I suggest to try to understand why is that, before worying aboyut the screw. Attached the service sheet for you guidance.

Note: if you want to do the electrical test as per document, make sure you use a low voltage ohmmeter, otherwise you will blow the coil.

Also, be aware that quartz repair is not as easy as it may seem, so be advised that replacing the complete module may be the safest option, even if more expensive.

FYI, we have a section on this forum where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

eta_959.001.pdf

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if I understand the question? The screw in question is supposed to be up a little bit due to its specific shape so that the cell strap fits over that and then it's screwed down on the other end. Then it works just fine it's held in place by the spring action of the cell strap and pushing on the battery. Problems though notice the arrow? It's telling you which screw to take out first sometimes people take out the other screw just because and it will fly away they will then insert an improper screw. Also some manufacturers the shape of the negative contact and the shape of the cell strap don't quite work right and the battery get shorted out.

Then as noted above electrical test equipment is required to work on quartz watches. Then quartz watches do need to be serviced from time to time. You'll note that the maximum current consumption of this watch is one microamp that is a really tiny amount of current it doesn't take much to cause problems so you have to be super clean when you work on quartz watches.

453_1377_complet_2335.pdf Omega 1377.pdf

17 hours ago, jdm said:

Even with that screw missing the module should work anyway, so I suggest to try to understand why is that, before worying aboyut the screw. Attached the service sheet for you guidance.

Note: if you want to do the electrical test as per document, make sure you use a low voltage ohmmeter, otherwise you will blow the coil.

Also, be aware that quartz repair is not as easy as it may seem, so be advised that replacing the complete module may be the safest option, even if more expensive.

FYI, we have a section on this forum where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

eta_959.001.pdf 3.95 MB · 6 downloads

15 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I'm not sure if I understand the question? The screw in question is supposed to be up a little bit due to its specific shape so that the cell strap fits over that and then it's screwed down on the other end. Then it works just fine it's held in place by the spring action of the cell strap and pushing on the battery. Problems though notice the arrow? It's telling you which screw to take out first sometimes people take out the other screw just because and it will fly away they will then insert an improper screw. Also some manufacturers the shape of the negative contact and the shape of the cell strap don't quite work right and the battery get shorted out.

Then as noted above electrical test equipment is required to work on quartz watches. Then quartz watches do need to be serviced from time to time. You'll note that the maximum current consumption of this watch is one microamp that is a really tiny amount of current it doesn't take much to cause problems so you have to be super clean when you work on quartz watches.

453_1377_complet_2335.pdf 148.18 kB · 3 downloads Omega 1377.pdf 266.83 kB · 1 download

Hi,

Thank to both of you for your quick answer, really appreciate that.

I was asking this because when the both sides of the battery clamp are held in place the hands are moving quite normally.

It’s just that I felt that I cannot screw down the screw that I circled in red in the picture. (Came unscrewed when I opened the case).

If the opposite screw, marked with the arrow, is the one to unscrew first, I would guess that the screw causing me problem should be the first one screwed down (?)

By doing some research I came to know that this movement was not in production anymore, do you think that in the worst case buy a movement of the exact same size from the actual ETA product line would work ?

Thank you !

Hi to help you decide  have a look at this http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&ETA-ESA_959_001 and you can get a quatrz movement the same dimensions that will take the same size hands . How is the dial held on that one you have .? It can be done . If you want to keep it original have a look at this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Watch-Movement-ETA-959-001-/352465376934 I know what I would do . Hope this helps https://cwrnh.com/movement-interchangeability-list/

Edited by Graziano

1 hour ago, Graziano said:

Hi to help you decide  have a look at this http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&ETA-ESA_959_001 and you can get a quatrz movement the same dimensions that will take the same size hands . How is the dial held on that one you have .? It can be done . If you want to keep it original have a look at this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Watch-Movement-ETA-959-001-/352465376934 I know what I would do . Hope this helps https://cwrnh.com/movement-interchangeability-list/

Graziano, 

thank you so much for your help !T_T

Definitely going to check this in the case I have no other solutions than change the whole movement.

Even thought I would like to have the same to keep the Omega branded gear train bridge, unfortunately the fact that the movement became rare make it out of the price I can put in it.

51 minutes ago, Benoit said:

Graziano, 

thank you so much for your help !T_T

Definitely going to check this in the case I have no other solutions than change the whole movement.

Even thought I would like to have the same to keep the Omega branded gear train bridge, unfortunately the fact that the movement became rare make it out of the price I can put in it.

If you can manage to change the movement keep the original one and keep searching online every now and then you never know what you will find . As mentioned in previous posts you need to be very clean and careful when handling a quartz movement .Obviously it would be great if you could get that one going again 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ETA-959-001-Watch-Parts-Fits-Omega-1377-Fits-Longines-761-2-/311826827758 Have a look also at the ETA 210.001  same size same hands but different stem .You may have to cut the dial feet and use dial dots to attatch the dial to the movement.See what you think https://www.esslinger.com/eta-2-hand-quartz-watch-movement-210-001-overall-height-1-9mm/

just found this https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Omega-Quartz-Watch-1377-Movement-Longines-L761-2-ETA-959-001-Full-Working/283805180135?hash=item42141b60e7:g:GnMAAOSwxe5eYOjC

Edited by Graziano