How to Make a New Pivot for a 4th Wheel

The two attached videos show my adventure in making a Unique Pivot for a Hamilton 21J Railroad grade pocket watch. The problem was in using the traditional way in making a new pivot and failing in drilling a .28mm hole in the shaft. So I woke up the next morning and thought, “why don’t I make a sheath that fits over the wheel shaft and then tapers to a pivot at the end...where the Seconds Hand fits. 1 small piece of blued steel, 1 lathe and a lot of measuring and it worked...the second time. Here are the links:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been watching this vid with huge interest. Why, well this job is more common than I would like as spares are becoming more and more difficult to source. Cousins sell "quick pivots" for clocks but watches/pocket watches are a real challenge. I don't know why but French clock pivots cannot be drilled even after annealing. 

Great job done JD another vintage watch brought back into life.

• Like 1

I have been watching this vid with huge interest. Why, well this job is more common than I would like as spares are becoming more and more difficult to source. Cousins sell "quick pivots" for clocks but watches/pocket watches are a real challenge. I don't know why but French clock pivots cannot be drilled even after annealing. 

Big thanks. I was unsure if it would work, but it did:)

I didn't catch how you accommodated the extra length at the shoulder (sorry, I had to skim through)?

I screwed up the first one but on the second one I made sure the drill depth was the same length as the wheel shaft stub. The stub length need to be cut back to create a new shoulder for the add on piece. As well, I needed to step down the wide piece to a size that would ride on the bottom jewel, like the old shoulder did.

I completed the job yesterday. I was able to snip the extra pivot length down to the right size and push down the second hand...perfectly. I was really worried about snipping the pivot as it could break in another spot without the absolute perfect tension on the pliers. It was a complete success. As well, I did not glue the new JD-Pivot :) to the remaining wheel shaft as there was enough friction where glueing was not needed. I reassembled the movement and case and it looks great.

I completed the job yesterday. I was able to snip the extra pivot length down to the right size and push down the second hand...perfectly. I was really worried about snipping the pivot as it could break in another spot without the absolute perfect tension on the pliers. It was a complete success. As well, I did not glue the new JD-Pivot :) to the remaining wheel shaft as there was enough friction where glueing was not needed. I reassembled the movement and case and it looks great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1