Elgin Mainspring Repair

I decided to attack a slipping mainspring issue on a 19 Jewel Elgin Railroad grade Pocket Watch. Here is the movement.99d191719dc48e795a463e9d54b92c7e.jpg

I had to get the barrel out and have a look and much to my surprise to mainspring had a leaf riveted to it similar to automatic watch mainsprings.2ed0a5867d7c0b7d6e199b4787cad578.jpg

There was a small tab on one side of the mainspring and an accompanying thin slot on the barrel. What I did was file the tab so it was more like a hook and would better catch the barrel slot; and not slip. I also greased the wall of the barrel with automatic mainspring grease, to give it a bit of grab if the hook were to slip.92ce329f490e89b44b68f7ef810be1dc.jpg

The result was very successful.

Here is the YouTube video I made of the operation.

Then I noticed the the screw I had selected as a replacement screw (one of three) holding down the center wheel jewel setting did not looked domed like the other two. So, out came the lathe for some very detailed work to fix the look of the screw. AND AGAIN, I made another YouTube video.

I think I like making videos:)

That was a good part of my day yesterday and now this beautiful Elgin is completed and keeping perfect timec8ffa8a6c328765653a824c26ee57013.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

in the past, there must have been some "after market main springs"  sold.  my railroad elgin has a main spring that is quite stiff.one watchmaker said it was a "lifetime main spring".   i plan to instal a standard spring.  vin 

Elgin had one of the first (maybe first) "unbreakable" mainspring alloys, Elgiloy, and it was excellent. They developed it shortly after WW2.

This mainspring is a monster, definitely not the same material at the other vintage watches I have worked on.

• Thanks 1

Yes;  i don't know the proper name of this spring OR who made  AND who installed it,  but when i took it out of spring barrel it un coiled violently  --- it was very dificult to get it back into the barrel..     i see jdrichard has figured it out.    vin 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vinn3 said:

Yes;  i don't know the proper name of this spring OR who made  AND who installed it,  but when i took it out of spring barrel it un coiled violently  --- it was very dificult to get it back into the barrel..     i see jdrichard has figured it out.    vin 

also,  there was a shim under the balance cock.   SO;  it must have been a half ass job by  an amature.   vin

• Like 1

I did and the watch works perfectly now, with a 540 deg swing on the balance...crazy.