Old Iwc "fishtail" Cal.72

Hi,

Some time ago I was asked to look at a pocket watch in gold that was going to be repaired before it was going for sale. The pocket watch could not be wind up, so there was something wrong with the mainspring or the stem.

IMG_1499_zpsa1b37451.jpg

Sadly the dial got a crack at one time, but the case was nice. The crown was not in gold, which I believe has been changed through time.

IMG_1497_zpsfcb1ca49.jpgIMG_1396_zpsbfe7078f.jpg

After opening the back I saw the IWC marked engraved.

IMG_1869_zps4aabe189.jpgIMG_1878_zpsd6dde71d.jpg

But the movement itself was not marked IWC. I looked everywhere, under the dial and the plates etc. No mark, only a production number. I thought the movement was so nicely made that I would believe that the work was also from IWC. So began the effort to find out what kind of movement this was. I looked through BidFun-db Archive: Watch Movements, which has the largest database on watch movements I know. But no no discoveries there. I looked through some other databases with pocket watches, but no findings. It was the stem that was broken. Believe it or not my local dealer with watch parts had a spare.

Cal71and72_zps95a64044.jpg

So after a day's exploration on the web, I searched on google on "old IWC pocket watch" and pressed the images. After I scrolled down pretty far, came this picture here forward. It resembled the movement and the kind of caliber it is.

IMG_1872_zps3ef2bc2d.jpg

After I googled a bit more on the actual caliber, I found not so much. But IWC produced only 600 copies of this movement between 1904 to -1917. Why so few I do not know. http://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/7905/

In these times there are probably not many left of this type. So it was fun to get a little old IWC history on my watchmaker bench. This pocket watch was dated made in 1904.

Morten:)

• Like 1

I enjoyed your post Morten. If IWC only made 600 of them it is indeed a rare beast and probably worth a fair bit.

With all these fishy things in the movement, it should have been a marine chronometer! :-)

Hi Morten,

Welcome to the forum. Excellent report! I enjoyed it very much. I hope you'll find this forum an invaluable resource with its friendly and knowledgeable people.

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you Bob. I'm glad I found this place!:)

• 1 month later...