Replacing pallet arbor.

SparkyLB

This is my first endeavor after successfully disassembling, cleaning and lubricating, and putting back together a swiss movement.  No date or complications, just a center seconds hand.  I did not note the movement number underneath the balance.  It was a manual-wind orphaned movement. 

On my second movement, an orphaned one picked up on eBay for practice, I made a beginner mistake and tightened the pallet bridge onto a pivot that was not in the jewel hole.  I've broken the top pivot.  I have about 6 other orphaned movements bought "for parts" and I've used a staking set to remove the damaged arbor, and took a pallet arbor from a different pallet with nearly the same dimensions.  I am having one devil of a time completing this task putting a replacement arbor into the now arbor-less pallet.   

I've been at it for days, and taking a lot more time thinking than working.  So far I've isolated the "new" pallet arbor between two stakes in my staking set, with a flat, holed stake on bottom, and a rounded holed stake above.  If there's any part of a mechanical watch movement that's smaller than a pallet arbor, I don't know what it is! 

I'm unsure on how to proceed.  I thought I might surround the bottom portion into the stake with Rodico to stabilize it as I attempt to place the pallet.  This is certainly a challenge in manual dexterity for me. 

My plans are after the pallet is slid onto the new arbor, to tap a few times with the rounded stake in the hopes it peens the arbor just enough to fill to create a friction fit.  Short of that, I might use a slightly oversized flat holed stake from the top, and peen the pallet onto the arbor to the same effect. 

Those who might have performed this task, is there a certain set of steps, or advice for a beginner such as myself? 

Hi In todays world fitting an arbor to a pallet is rare usually a new pallet/fork is obtained via the make and calibre of the watch (the mark and number under the balance) and this is fitted as a replacement. Using a near enough staff and trying to fit that is only going to lead to problems regarding end shake and a non functioning watch. As mentioned by Watchtime some pictures of the movment front and back and the calibre and make of the watch are essential if you are requiring further assistance. 

19 hours ago, SparkyLB said:

If there's any part of a mechanical watch movement that's smaller than a pallet arbor, I don't know what it is!

An hairspring stud pin, as used on some cheap mov't is way smaller. 

Those who might have performed this task, is there a certain set of steps, or advice for a beginner such as myself? 

The advice given above is the right one, get a complete fork replacement. I think you are skipping steps for a beginner, get first to the point where you can comfortably service a regular mov't without breaking or loosing anything, and enjoy the pleasure of having it run perfectly. You will have plenty of time and better skills for more demanding repairs. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

Thank you all.  I will heed the advice and pick up a new, complete pallet fork.  It's somewhat reassuring to hear from those more experienced that I'm "skipping steps."  I was hoping for that kind of response rather than one that suggests that this is an easy task. 

It's an FHF 96N calibre.

And yes, the hairspring stud pin escaped me.  That is far smaller! 

Thank you all.