Kronen & Söhne

Having read Autowind's post "Something Different", I was so intrigued by the watch that bought a similar one to see how it performed.

imagejpg1-19.jpg

This one was purchased from Fleabay is called a Kronen & Söhne and cost grand total of £33.09 including postage. I was surprised when it arrived in a rather nice box complete with tag, instructions, cleaning cloth and guarantee card. The watch was also inside a protective bubble wrap sleeve.

imagejpg2-3.jpg

The case is polished stainless steel and the strap is allegedly real leather. It certainly looks the business. The crystals at front and back appear to be glass as they are cold to the touch and were covered in protective film. A nice touch is the logo is printed on the inside of the crystal to prevent it from wearing off.

The watch is an automatic and utilises a micro version of the "Seiko Magic Finger", and like a Seiko, it cannot be wound using the crown. The crown is screw down, but is unusual in that the time can only be set by turning the crown anti-clockwise. As soon as the crown is unwound it is immediately into adjust mode, you do not have to pull it out further to a setting position. The hands cannot be wound backwards, so if you go too far when setting the time, you will then have to turn the hands the equivalent of twelve hours. You soon learn!

To access the back it required my heavy duty case opener, it was just too tight for the Jaxsa tool to deal with.

imagejpg3-1.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

Out of the box it was running about 17 to 30 seconds fast depending on the position. For the price, I was reasonably happy with that. I decided to try and improve on that and managed to get it down to +2 seconds dial up and +2 seconds twelve up.

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

Making adjustments was also a bit of a fiddle, because the regulators are on the dial side (if it had one). To make adjustments I had to carefully stop the balance wheel with a piece of Rodico to allow access between the spokes for my peg wood.

Conclusion: It is excellent value for money, a real bargain and fun to wear!

It definitely is, Geo. I thought it would be more expensive and after the tricky fine tune you did it is an incredible value! Now you got me hooked on one of those!

I think that considering the fashion we have here with all the skeletonized watches (mainly big women ones) -- which are not really skeletonized, but indescribable -- this one feels like a fresh puff of air with the plus -- for me -- it is a men's watch. Maybe those skeletons wannabe watches have made me stay away from them until now.

Also, for what you describe, it seems that they mixed some Citizen (back winding) technology with Seiko (magic lever). I wonder if it is a Japanese movement after all. Not a bad thing either regardless of manufacture origin.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. BTW, what case opener is that?

Edited by bobm12

2 secs a day must be very close to Rolex standard,  what sort of power reserve does it have?  I notice 4 screws on the front bezel,  are they all that holds it on?  if so that would easy way in.  As you say a lot of watch for the money,  I've got a Bday coming up next Feb so I might treat myself.

2 secs a day must be very close to Rolex standard,  what sort of power reserve does it have?  I notice 4 screws on the front bezel,  are they all that holds it on?  if so that would easy way in.  As you say a lot of watch for the money,  I've got a Bday coming up next Feb so I might treat myself.

1) I dare say there will be a lot of Rolexes not holding 2 seconds a day. It will be interesting to see how long this watch retains this accuracy.

2) Power reserve is meant to be thirty hours and is certainly is OK after fifteen. It has not stopped since I received it except when I deliberately stopped it.

3) The four screws appear to be decorative. I would have gone in that way if it possible.