Mac Update

If anyone has followed my posts on the troubles with my Mac and their latest OS programme Yosemite just and update. Took Mac Pro again to Apple and they uninstalled and re-installed the whole of the HD. However still no better the Mail was crap. Sometimes the mailboxes did not appear, emails that I know had been sent (via my iPhone) did not show in my inbox unless I force quit and re-started the mail and worst of all the mail would just quit. However searching the web (as one does when **BLEEP** strictly is on TV AGAIN ) found a post where this guy had the same issue and he just un-ticked the Auto detect settings box found in the mail preferences. I followed his advise & the problem has gone Email is now quicker than it has ever been. The only issue is, I get a message regarding its certificate not secure. I have not got a clue what that is I just know the mail now works great. If I get time I will pop into Apple again and ask about this message.

post-234-0-58049100-1418209376_thumb.png

Edited by clockboy

Your troubles have made me quite nervous to upgrade. 

But if the problems are now limited to just email then I could live with that, I only use Gmail.

Here's hoping the Apple 'geniuses' can solve the last issue for you.

Just tried something, ticked the "allow insecure authentication" and new emails did not show in inbox again so have un - ticked and all is back working again. Beyond my intelligence this stuff.

One useful feature I have found which you get with Yosemite is if you attach and attachment to an email you can then edit that attachment and draw add arrows,signatures etc to it before sending. 

I think this adds to my resolve to stick with 10.6.8 until I absolutely have to move on - either with a new Mac or because software is increasingly less supported. At the moment, everything I have works fine, and I just want to keep it that way.

Edited by WillFly

My brother is a graphic designer and the firm wanted him to learn a particular 3d program. They tried to install it but the OS was a few updates old so they updated it. Straight away all the other £000s of software stopped working.

His friend had an ipod that broke. Bought a newer one as no longer available after 4 months. New one didnt work on current OS. Went to update OS but her Mac "was too old"

Spoke to a 'genius' who advised her to buy a new Mac, having just bought hers not more than a year before for £995.

THAT'S why I will NEVER buy an Apple product!

• Like 1

I had big problems with Mail when I upgraded to Yosemite, it wouldn't recognise my login details or when it did forgot them soon after. Also had the problem with the "certificate is not secure"

I got fed up with it and I am now using Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 and using Outlook for mail. So far so good.

Then other problem I am having (MacBook Air) is when I resume from sleep it loses my WiFi access point, the only way I can reconnect is turn off Wifi and turn it back on.

I never had a single problem with Mavericks or it's predecessors.

I've been working with Apple computers for over 25 years (started with an SE30) and, on the whole, they've been fantastic - intuitive, reliable, sophisticated - especially when compared with Windows equivalents.

However, with changes at the the top of Apple, and changes in marketing philosophy and design, I don't think the latest products are as good as they used to be. Just hope that my graphics and music software packages continue to work as I want them for a long time to come.

I agree Will I think Apple are loosing it at the top. Found out that they are no longer supporting Aperture which has been my photo software for many years. The guy at Apple agreed that the new OS uses more ROM in fact Yosemite uses 4gb just to run it.

Somebody at the top of Apple needs as a slap