Is An Air Purifier A Must For Watchmaker?

Hello all it's been a while since I was in this forum and repairing watches due to hectic schedule like exam. Glad to return back :) I was thinking is an air purifier a must for us who repair watches? Was thinking of buying one with a HEPA filter because as you know dust is all around us. I been trying to eliminate dust around my workbench like trying to clear some unnecessary stuff and wiping the area with a microfiber cloth but there's still dust I mean those kind of white textile fibre. Thanks. Would like to hear you guys opinion about this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally wouldn't bother getting an air purifier, I just give my bench a dust with a microfibre cloth, and a good clean with a vacuum cleaner now and again. What I would recommend you get are a few cloches or jars to cover movement when you are not working on them.

Edited by Geo
  • Like 1

I personally wouldn't bother getting an air purifier, I just give my bench a dust with a microfibre cloth, and a good clean with a vacuum cleaner now and again. What I would recommend you get are a few cloches or jars to cover movement when you are not working on them.

Oh I see. Certainly I will be getting a dust cover with tray (the one which looks like a cheese tray). I shall follow what you have said. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of the dust is self-generated.. ie skin particles, pets also create a lot of dust. Most of us have spent a lot of time examining the contents of our dust-pans and can attest to this!

Its best not to have fabric surfaces around.. eg drapes/curtains, seat materials, carpets. When you sit at your workbench make sure your clothes are not the type with co**BLEEP** weave which trap a lot of dirt.

Ever wonder why those proffessional watchmen wear those white coats? Its to prevent the dust/fibres from their normal clothes coming off onto the bench.

The worst pants to wear at the desk are those cargo pants with baggy pockets... whenever a part drops off the desk you have to move slowly and check if the parts has fallen into the folds of the pockets..! arrggh.

Anil