vintage military watch caseback stuck

seaw300

Hi all.

I have a couple of old cwc g10 early models but I cannot get the backs off. see pics attached of the tools i have tried. 

There is only a very small gap to lever off but due age they seem totally stuck.

Can anyone suggest how to get them off.

any help greatly appreciated

A303D3F7-F943-435E-A0B7-A4B26D010062.jpeg

DD248CA8-0CA3-43B1-93D9-61F50765F1E9.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Geo said:

Have a look at this thread, it may help you.

thank you for the link however this is a quartz G10 which has a press on back but its stuck. 

Im aware the 70’s models had a one piece case but mine is def an 80’s

thanks

bob

Thanks 

Yes i did see your black caseback opening tool

the pics i posted shows the same tool but grey and red, the problem is there is no way the blade will fit as there is no gap, only a tiny indent at one point near the lugs so no chance of using this tool, infact i damaged the blade trying to force a gap but it just wouldnt budge. 

On some snap backs there's no solution except resorting to a hammer. It's fiddly, you want the case in your hand, get knife in place holding with same hand (sometimes you have to start with a box cutter), and tap it in. Once the gap starts it gets much easier. Scary if working on a non shock protected mechanical but I've yet to kill a staff this way, quartz no problem.

Aha! so it justs needs a bit more force. 

I bought the heaviest looking case knife and a prising tool and nothing touches it. 

Will try a hammer and see if i can get it to move. The gap provided is very small so impossible to use any force trying to prise it. 

thanks all for the info. 

Needs a cease opening knife and a watchmakers hammer. It WILL open. Put the watch in a small vice. Wrap it in a cloth to prevent scratching. Leave a small gap so the watch isn’t too tight. Insert the knife in the gap. Give it a firm tap. Increase tap pressure until it loosens. It will come off!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• The part was how it fell out of the movement - the train wheel bridge wasn’t screwed in.    I’ll probably dismantle the part, if I can, to work it out.    The train of wheels ran fine - it was only once the keyless works were installed I noticed the problem. 
    • Hello, I am about 5 months into watchmaking and I love it!   The attention to precise detail is what really attracts me to it. (and the tools!) I am working on a 16 jewel 43mm pocket watch movement.   There are no markings besides a serial number (122248) .  The balance staff needs replacement. The roller side pivot broke off.  I successfully removed the hairspring using Bergeon 5430's.  I successfully removed the roller using Bergeon 2810.   Did i mention I love the tools?! I removed the staff from the balance wheel using a vintage K&D staff removal tool  with my Bergeon 15285 (that's the one that comes with a micrometer adjustment so it can be used as a jewel press as well as a traditional staking tool...it's sooooo cool...sorry..  can you tell i love the tools?) No more digressing..  I measured the damaged staff in all the relevant areas but I have to estimate on some because one of the pivots is missing. A = Full length  A= 4.80mm  (that's without the one pivot...if you assume that the missing pivot is the same length as the other pivot (I'm sure it's not)  then A = 5.12 mm...(can I assume 5.00mm here?) F=  Hair spring collet seat  F=  .89mm   (safe to assume .90 here? .. I am sure that my measurement's would at least contain  .01 mm error ?) G = balance wheel seat  G = 1.23 mm  (1.20mm?) H  =  roller staff  H =  .59mm  (.60 mm?) B  = bottom of the wheel to roller pivot   B  = 2.97mm  (3.00 mm?)     here I am estimating  again because this pivot is missing. So my friends, and I thank you profusely,  can you point me in the right direction as to how to proceed? Do i buy individual staffs?  or an assortment?   Since I don't know exactly the name of the manufacturer, will that be a fatal hindrance?   Tbh, I'm not even sure what country of origin this movement is. Thank you!    
    • Thats why i asked that question earlier, what happens if lubrication is placed directly on top of epilame ?  As opposed to walled within its non epilamed area . I'm not saying its right, i have no idea , just asking questions. 
    • thinking of where epilam should be removed did you know there was a patent that covers this? At least for the escapement I'm attaching it. GB1057607A-1 epilame.pdf
    • Back home...printing now.  Will report results