Balance staff replacement without staking set??

Endeavor

The first time I staked in a balance staff, when I spread the rivet, I pounded too hard and distorted the arms of the balance. I then had to true the balance with truing calipers. I did it without issue and restored the watch. The last one I did was a Hamilton staff that was a friction fit. I tapped out the old one with my Staking tool and tapped in the new one. I first thought that this was a riveted staff but there was not enough metal to spread after I staked in the balance. I still took a domed stake and tapped what I thought could be the rivet...just in case. It all worked out in the end. So, buy a Staking set from Uncle Larry up here in Canada asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are still good metals available to make watch staffs. Drill rod is commonly  available in water hardening (W1), oil hardening (O1) and air hardening (W1, S7) varieties. When hardened and tempered back to a good spring hardness the pivots should have the proper strength and hardness characteristics to function properly.  Watch staffs were traditionally  made from water hardening steels but when watch staffs were first produced, there weren't a large variety of steels available. As time progressed different minerals were added to the mix to achieve different characteristics. These characteristics ranged from hardness, toughness, resistance to corrosion, dimensional deformation and so on. S7 will produce a pivot that will be the least likely to break and can be brought up to a sufficient (Rc46) spring hardness  Other metals such as A2, O1 and W1 can be brought up to a higher (Rc65) hardness but do not have the resistance to shock that S7 has.

david. 

• Like 3

There are still good metals available to make watch staffs. Drill rod is commonly  available in water hardening (W1), oil hardening (O1) and air hardening (W1, S7) varieties. When hardened and tempered back to a good spring hardness the pivots should have the proper strength and hardness characteristics to function properly.  Watch staffs were traditionally  made from water hardening steels but when watch staffs were first produced, there weren't a large variety of steels available. As time progressed different minerals were added to the mix to achieve different characteristics. These characteristics ranged from hardness, toughness, resistance to corrosion, dimensional deformation and so on. S7 will produce a pivot that will be the least likely to break and can be brought up to a sufficient (Rc46) spring hardness  Other metals such as A2, O1 and W1 can be brought up to a higher (Rc65) hardness but do not have the resistance to shock that S7 has.
david. 

YE know too much

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Like 1