Hello from Hampshire, UK

KayMan

Greetings and Happy New Year!  My name is Kevin and I’m a retired engineer who’s taken a recent interest in watches of the mechanical variety.  Perhaps oddly for someone who had no clue until less than a year ago, I do have a collection of watches.  It was left to me after my Dad's passing in 2005 but I only opened the boxes early last year.  What I found was a number of British military ATP watches.  I opened the back of one and was confronted with a pristine 15j movement, sparking an immediate interest in how it worked.

I read up about watches, watched a few videos and acquired some tools and a spares/repair man’s watch which I proceeded to strip.  After cleaning it in meths (wrong thing to use?) I reassembled it and it worked.  I was hooked!

Anyway I’m now working on my wife’s Smiths Empire girls watch that she was given at age 10.  Those parts are so tiny and my 3.5 loupe isn’t adequate but I’m getting there slowly.

Now I have a raft of questions about tools, mainsprings and ATP watches.  All in good time, but meanwhile thanks for having me and I hope to learn much from the expertise evident on this forum.

Hello Kevin, it sounds as if you have caught the bug into the wonderful world of Horology. Plenty of advice on tools, watch movements and clocks which is my interest on here. I've been retired for many years but I have around 30 years experience in watches and clocks. Don't forget many on here lick photos.   

Hello Kevin, good place this with very helpful folks. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Don't forget many on here lick photos.   

That's possibly the best typo I've ever seen! Or is it a Freudian slip...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk