Balance assembly refitting tutorial?

I'm new to watch repairing and have been playing with some expendable ebay purchases, including a BFG866 movement. I've had a go at servicing and all went pretty well and burst into life as soon as I had refitted the balance assembly. Unfortunately though, after 12 hours or so, that watch gained about 5 minutes :(

I think I worked out the problem, the balance spring had overlapped thus increasing tension? Anyway, I removed the balance cock in order to realign the spring but no joy as yet. I have gone through about 3 springs with two which are beyond repair and one that should be salvageable?? 

Is there any information or tutorials covering this as well as covering all the alignment stuff? 

I'm also assuming that the BFG866 is a relatively cheap watch (single jewel) and not really designed for beginners tinkering?

Thanks in advance

Carl 

I'm new to watch repairing and have been playing with some expendable ebay purchases, including a BFG866 movement. I've had a go at servicing and all went pretty well and burst into life as soon as I had refitted the balance assembly. Unfortunately though, after 12 hours or so, that watch gained about 5 minutes [emoji20]
I think I worked out the problem, the balance spring had overlapped thus increasing tension? Anyway, I removed the balance cock in order to realign the spring but no joy as yet. I have gone through about 3 springs with two which are beyond repair and one that should be salvageable?? 
Is there any information or tutorials covering this as well as covering all the alignment stuff? 
I'm also assuming that the BFG866 is a relatively cheap watch (single jewel) and not really designed for beginners tinkering?
Thanks in advance
Carl 

Practical watch repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is that a book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it’s pretty much the standard book always recommended to starters in tinkering. Practical Watch Repair by Donald DeCarle I think it is. SO much information inside, which is why it’s THE go to book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, Pip said:

Yes, it’s pretty much the standard book always recommended to starters in tinkering. Practical Watch Repair by Donald DeCarle I think it is. SO much information inside, which is why it’s THE go to book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I shall have a look, I have an Epub copy of "maintaining and repairing mechanical watches" but it doesn't cover this level of detail

• Like 1

I don’t suppose there is a free electronic copy available to download, or is it a physical copy only?

Cheers

Carl

Physical copy. It’s not much though, about £10 or so iirc? Well worth it.

• Like 1