Strange Timegrapher display

mikepilk

I just put a Revue MSR T43 on the Timegrapher and I'm getting this odd display.

Visually it looks to be in beat, and the amplitude looks good. 

I don't understand how you can have two close traces and a large beat error. Don't they come from the same signals ?

20180928_162254.jpg

I can now answer my own question - I should have done some more searching.

I found the thread   3407-single-line-and-57ms-beat-error/

It appears that with a Weishi 1000, with a beat error of about 5.5 ms, one plot rolls-over and plots close to the other, giving the false impression that they are close. 

I followed the advice in the thread, and moved the stud arm clockwise - problem solved.

It goes to show that you can have a huge beat error, with relatively little effect on amplitude. 

20180928_180706.jpg

I had long educational lessons from @JohnR725 and he mentioned this "overlapping" problem when "way-out" of beat. My Laco's are statically in beat, but the software showed 9.8 ms ...... We are still not sure what's going on; software or mechanical....

I read the thread you are referring to and it's amazing to see how many times JohnR725 stepped in with his time-machine knowledge .....:thumbsu:

Anyway, you found the answer and solved the problem ;)

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

there are several important rules to remember when using the timing machine. First pay attention the numbers and the graphical display and make sure they agree plus visually look at the watch and make sure whatever the watch is doing agrees with what you see on the timing machine. Then my favorite phrase for timing machines is garbage in garbage out. If the graphical display looks like total crap the numbers will be the same. Is not like the timing machine can magically look at the random dots and produce a rate or an amplitude that is going to be correct.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

there are several important rules to remember when using the timing machine. First pay attention the numbers and the graphical display and make sure they agree plus visually look at the watch and make sure whatever the watch is doing agrees with what you see on the timing machine. Then my favorite phrase for timing machines is garbage in garbage out. If the graphical display looks like total crap the numbers will be the same. Is not like the timing machine can magically look at the random dots and produce a rate or an amplitude that is going to be correct.

I did a visual check that it was in beat, and the amplitude looked good, which is why I was confused with the display.

Another lesson learned.