Roamer

chrisdt

I have a 1970's Roamer which is running fine, keeping time etc etc but with one small problem! The watch winds as it should but when the crown is pulled out to adjust the time it is very sensitive and the slightest movement or vibration the crown will pop back in again and instead of adjusting the time its back to winding.  In other words I have to keep finger nail pressure outwards on the crown to adjust the time. Anyone got a quick fix for this please?

First possibility one would think of, is the check spring not holding he return arm in adjust position,  Possible causes ,  return arm not proprely engaged with check spring, broken check spring, worn out  pin and.... 

I know of no quick fix, the dial and date must be removed to gain access to keyless mechanism and see the fault. 

Regards

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• My thinking is yes it is better if you were to choose this or a tg, although the tg can do more . This way the watch is adjusted specifically to you and your routine. As an example i restored an old Smiths pin pallet watch ( typically an inaccurate movement ) around 3 months ago. Adjusted through 5 positions on a tg initially proved ok but not precise over time.  Having then re- regulated the movement after each week of wearing over a period of 6 weeks brought the timekeeping in much closer, now within 1 minute/week
    • Hi,   was just debating whether to repair a Timex -- so here I am!  
    • Hi everyone, I am Michael and I am completely new to the watch making world. After buying a mechanical watch a couple of years ago and realizing that the time keeping degraded significantly recently...I started digging and got fascinated by the topic!  I disassembled the watch with the Miyota 821a...and this gave the initial spark. Right now, the movement is still disassembled...and I am trying on a different movement my cleaning and lubrication before finalizing this project 😁 I am hoping to find help when I get lost and ask maybe some stupid questions - sorry for that in advance 😉 All the best, Michael 
    • As it is your watch the answer is yes! When regulating a watch for someone else there's no way we can tell in what environment the watch is used and how often the wearer of the watch will wind it. In that situation, a timing machine is a handy tool to get close to something that likely will be acceptable. As indicated by @tomh207 and @clockboy a timing machine is a great way to quickly determine the health of the movement. If you are considering a Weishi I'd recommend the 1900 model over the 1000 model as the 1900 has a gain setting. These machines work well but aren't foolproof. If you want something more advanced I'd recommend the PCTM software from @praezis.
    • Hi guys, I am completely new to watch making and currently I am iterating on my cleaning process to get it right. My current process is a 3 step cleaning routine in an ultrasonic cleaner and drying afterwards in a food dehydrator at 45°C. 10min wash with Elma Red 1:9 at 58°C 5min rinse in distilled water 2min rinse in IPA 99% 10min drying in a food dehydrator at 45°C I have an old ETA 2842 which I use to test the process and the cleaning in general works pretty good...but I found one strange thing during one run I did yesterday. After the 10min wash cycle in Elma Red 1:9, the bright silver balance shock jewel metal housing colored black. Do you have an idea what happened here? Thanks, best regards Michael