A Couple From The Bottom Drawer..

Nice watches Nigel and fortunate boyfriend when the planned watch is ready!! Please send pictures of the finished project! 

mmm, I'm probably too old, too far and married to be a boyfriend and get a watch too ! :)

(just a bad joke)

Good eye Will, I love the smaller one too!

Edited by bobm12

WillFly yes the Waltham is a runner and it looks like it lost 10 seconds in 24 hours, (hopefully have my timer finished by the weekend   :) ...and can check it properly) from the serial it is a 1906 model Marquis.

the other is an Argus non runner and the hairspring looks to have had an accident, it is in what appears to be a gunmetal case but I could be wrong here, how do i check the size of the movements? ie to find out if there is a case that will suit either of these movements? 

post-378-0-48796300-1414068678_thumb.jpg

post-378-0-86856500-1414069256_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel,

I think the best way to find a case for the movement(s) is, first measuring all pertinent distances: diameter, thickness and most important the distance from the "face" or bottom plate to the center of the winding stem. With those measurements you will need to find a supplier (ebay works) that has the case to accommodate such measurements.

If the cavity where the movement were to be larger than the movement itself, it can be solved by using plastic rings for this purpose or any other means so this is not as critical as the stem to bottom plate measurement which should align with the case tube.

Normally a 12 ligne movement might fit a Hamilton case...but I haven't really done this so I might be wrong....just check measurements.

I believe Anil has a post somewhere where he explains how to measure the case so the stem aligns. He actually consider the thickness of the dial you will be using. Also I would do so considering the hands need to fit properly and some dials are too thick. This is because it may be that the case won't accommodate the old dial but will accommodate the movement....

Also something to remember that there is no shock protection on those bad boys so there not the "best" movements for watch conversions, something to bear in mind!

The arm is obviously more active and the movements won't take all the bumps a modern wrist watch will

Edited by jnash