Removing a broken fourth wheel shaft from a sub second hand.

This must be a familiar scenario.

AS 984 movement, Fourth wheel broken (will replace) but what tool would I use to get a tight fitting broken shaft piece out of the (sub) second hand?

I'm only a hobbyist so my tools are limited, but I have nothing remotely small enough to poke the old shaft out. Am I right in saying it's 0.2mm?. There's a tiny bit sticking out, not enough to grab but enough to push on and see the shaft is moving but very tight. I'd considered trying to push it out with the remainder of the fourth wheel shaft, but obviously don't want to even attempt that 'til I've sourced a replacement fourth wheel. 

If the inner measurement of the pipe is 0.2mm then it will need to be pushed out with a 0.2mm pusher of some sort. You might have to hone down a needle as the pushing tool but damage to to hands pipe is easy so go easy. Support the hand on a small stake (as pic below)and push straight.

5a72ff2d8ef2a_ScreenShot2018-02-01at11_50_50.png.e4cf412ee3bbcc82746992746a75f107.png

Probably the best you can do, though it will be tricky. Once you've got the shaft protruding more, you might be able to switch to another method. 
For clarification it's a staking block, if you look for stakes you'll find the male counterparts to this sort of tool. 
I wonder, though, is it a particularly stylised subdial hand? you may end up needing to source a generic closest match.

Edited by Ishima

Big thanks for your responses. I'll make a drift of some sort and get it out.

Was really interested on what the pro's do, and what the actual correct tool is. Make a drift on the lathe, harden it, use a stake block seems to be the answer.

I could probably just source another, but then it wouldn't be the original ;) worth a modicum of effort as I'm not getting paid by the hour, or at all for that matter.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HeerzJohnny said:

Big thanks for your responses. I'll make a drift of some sort and get it out.

Was really interested on what the pro's do, and what the actual correct tool is. Make a drift on the lathe, harden it, use a stake block seems to be the answer.

I could probably just source another, but then it wouldn't be the original ;) worth a modicum of effort as I'm not getting paid by the hour, or at all for that matter.

"the pro's"  often have served a 4 yr. apprenticeship  in some form of mechanical trade.