L&R mechanical cleaner and #3 rinse in ultrasonic.

MrRoundel

Up until recently I was using an L&R mechanical cleaner with L&R solutions, Extra-fine Watch Cleaning Solution and #3 rinse specifically.  After losing a small jewel in the mechanical, I decided to press my Watchmaster ultrasonic into service. I was told, elsewhere, that I could use the Extra-fine cleaner and #3 rinse in my US cleaner. I have been doing that, but have been noticing that the parts just don't seem to be completely drying, and there's an oily residue left behind. This is especially obvious on highly polished parts. It's like beaded up oil that I have to remove with Rodico. It's a bit aggravating that sometimes a watch looks better before I put it in the cleaner.

I'm wondering if I should, at the very least, dip the polished parts in naptha (Coleman fuel) before reassembling. I keep reading that #3 rinse is a great final rinse, and I don't recall having the same issues when I used my mechanical cleaner. Is it possible that the ultrasonic action releases demons from the rinse that don't get released with a mechanical cleaning? Thanks in advance for any input and/or advice.

BTW: I actually supplement the hot air from the dryer on the US machine with hot air from a hair-dryer.  It doesn't seem to be helping much lately. Cheers.

I would not have thought the Utrasonic is the issue here, I have used L&R fluid #3 rinse in an L&R varimatic (which ultrasonically cleans every stage) with no issue.

Have you experimented with new clean solution? (Just thinking that perhaps this is a contamination issue?)

1 hour ago, oli said:

I would not have thought the Utrasonic is the issue here, I have used L&R fluid #3 rinse in an L&R varimatic (which ultrasonically cleans every stage) with no issue.

Have you experimented with new clean solution? (Just thinking that perhaps this is a contamination issue?)

Contamination may well be the issue. The fluid has only been used to clean 1/2 dozen watches or so, but who knows what was on them?  I cleaned a watch in my mechanical machine yesterday, using a different pour from the same gallon, and the watch came out fine. I guess the only way I'll find out is if I do change out the fluids in the ultrasonic. Fortunately, the containers are fairly small, so I won't be discarding a huge amount of fairly fresh fluids. Still, maybe I'll change the final rinse first, as that should get rid of the residue even if it's the cleaning fluid or 1st rinse.  Thanks for your input. Cheers.