rusted movement

dwhite

Another dumb question.  I have a pocket watch movement with considerable rust.  The balance is OK but there is a lot of rust on other parts.  Has anyone used a heated solution of oxalic acid to remove rust from watch parts?  It has been my go to for removing rust from tools for years.  It never seems to harm the underlying metal but then I've only used it on stuff like hammers and other big tools.  I also have a bottle to rust remover for watches I bought many years ago but I don't have a clue what is in it.  I surely don't want to use an aggressive acid.  Thanks in advance, Dan.

11 hours ago, vinn3 said:

the only problem I have had, with pocket watches,  is rusty main springs or rusty stem collets.  vin

This one has rusted screws, some rust on plates, I'm sure the stem and sleeve although I can't see them yet and the scale on the regulator although from what I can see the rest of the balance cock looks OK.  From what I can see the hairspring looks OK.  If I can get the balance out and the fork out I'm thinking I would be OK with a little warmth as I've heard the roller jewel and pallet jewels are or used to be set with shellac.  Am I missing anything?  Since this thing is worthless except for the case and I can't get anything to run anyway I thought I might make it an experimental sacrifice.

Thanks vinn3!  I figured I might have to do that.  I'm not above soaking the thing in kerosene if I can get the shellacked parts out.  It's an old farmers cure all for rusty parts that won't come apart.  I'm old and I live on a farm but the only thing I seem to be able to grow is something called musk thistle.  Some of you might know what that is.  My county weed board certainly does; we're on a first name basis.