Reinstalling Shock Stabil device on tiny AS movement.

MrRoundel

I saw that someone here put up a nice tutorial on installing the Diashock shock spring. That's great. Presently though, I'm working on a rather small ladies watch that utilizes the Shock Stabil type spring. You know, the design that has two eyes on the sizes that look at you so mockingly. When I got it off, I knew it might be a touch reassembly, as it doesn't seem like there's much of a locking system at the back end. Does anyone have any tips for handling these? It's already flown on my once but I was lucky enough to find it on my bench. Any help is appreciated.

ShockStabil.jpg

Edited by MrRoundel

Well I do see that the back part does tuck under a lip. It's not a very big lip, mind you, but it does lock it. So now it just comes down to figuring out how to hold the spring down and back while the locking tabs get in place. I just made up a second pin-vise with a brass tapered pin in it to help manipulate it. Plus, I decided to wait until the sun comes up on this side of the pond, and after a good nights sleep.

I'd really like to get this together early tomorrow, as it's a gift for one of my nieces. I already C&O'd a little Wittnauer for my other niece. If I don't get this done, it'll be a gift-cert for something else. I had almost finished with a Hamilton for her but realized late that the set-bridge was broken. It's that close to being together, but impossible by tomorrow. Oh well, wish me luck.

Yep^^slide tab under the rim of the block place one arm of the spring into its seat leaving the last arm to be seated under tension. Done. You could try rodico, but I would just use a piece of pw to hold the tab end in while you work.  (rodico may not be strong enough to hold it in place under tension) looks like there are pre fab holes to manipulate the arms as well. If you're really good you would place your tweezers in each hole gently squeeze, place and release. 

Thanks, gents. I used a little roll of Rodico yesterday but I didn't get the tabs set and it tended to pull up the jewels as I moved away. It may have been that I didn't succeed in getting the tabs in. If I had, the jewels wouldn't be free to move upward. I'll consider trying that again.

I'll also put a nice sharp tip on some pegwood. That was going to be my next try. I was thinking that if I applied slight backward pressure on the spot near the back tab, it would hold it "firmly" under the lip. We'll see.

As far as the tweezers, my Dumont 3C's have pretty nice tips on them, but won't pick this shock-spring up off the bench. I held them next to the holes and they look a bit stout for the job. Maybe some super fine hairspring tweezers would have better luck getting into those "mocking eye" holes?

Thanks again. I'll report back later. Enjoy your Xmas day, if you so celebrate. If not, enjoy it anyway. Cheers.

Edited by MrRoundel
Typo

The sharpened pegwood worked well. Thanks for the tip, wolfwatchwerks! It was easier than I expected. I also dealt with an issue of the clutch-lever not staying engaged with the winding pinion. I ended up having to install the stem to keep in in place while I tightened things up. Of course then I had to manipulate the balance in, which was tough on this little AS 1677. After that, I noticed that a dial screw must have shaken loose in the US cleaner (I know I tightened them after removing the dial). Luckily I was able to grab a screw from another AS movement I had handy to get that dial held on well. Now it just needs the hands replaced to finish it up. It looks like my niece will have it today. Thanks for your help, guys. Cheers.