Cannon pinion on an old watch (again)

Max

Hi,

I have to admit that I am rather new to repairs/servicing watches and I am not native english writer, sorry for any mistake. 

I have some fleamarket watches restored successfully and running. Right now I have the same issue I was facing with another watch a while ago.

It seems to me like the cannon pinion is stuck. I have the cannon pinion removal tool from bergeon and it slips as it has not enough grip. I would appreciate some tipps/help on how to remove these kind of stucked pinion without bending something. Will heating up the metal or using WD help? 

For clarification, i attached two pictures of the watch. I know that the watch movement is still inside the case, i can remove it but for the sake of storing it while looking for a solution i recased.

Any help appreciated

Max

watch_fron.jpg

watch_back2.jpg

Hi,

I have to admit that I am rather new to repairs/servicing watches and I am not native english writer, sorry for any mistake. 

I have some fleamarket watches restored successfully and running. Right now I have the same issue I was facing with another watch a while ago.

It seems to me like the cannon pinion is stuck. I have the cannon pinion removal tool from bergeon and it slips as it has not enough grip. I would appreciate some tipps/help on how to remove these kind of stucked pinion without bending something. Will heating up the metal or using WD help? 

For clarification, i attached two pictures of the watch. I know that the watch movement is still inside the case, i can remove it but for the sake of storing it while looking for a solution i recased.imageproxy.php?img=&key=77f0dcc5ac0f9d5b032f08c5202c09a1ef7360c2c4d69bfb77cb6bf9346be316

Any help appreciated

Maximageproxy.php?img=&key=77f0dcc5ac0f9d5b032f08c5202c09a1ef7360c2c4d69bfb77cb6bf9346be316

watch_fron.thumb.jpg.74e6a778e931ea6cf866fafbb64a4e7f.jpg

watch_back2.thumb.jpg.4306fe20c38ed8bbff38c290a14bcceb.jpg

I always take a firm grip on it with tweezers and pull straight up. Have never had a problem. Had to use a staking set to put one back once. Brace the bottom pivot while tapping lightly on the cannon pinion and line up the gears so they don’t meet and one gets damaged. This also works to get it back on if too much friction to just push it on with tweezers. Don’t want to screw up the center wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm thinking Max isn't going to have much luck with tweezers if his dedicated canon pinion tool isn't working. 
I'm no canon pinion expert but I would say you had a good idea with oil, maybe just a touch applied in between the second's pinion and inner canon pinion, turn the motion work with the winder to work it in and maybe even leave it for a while. I once had a canon pinion tight enough for me to have to get creative, and my solution was my best small pin vice secured around the pinion and left standing up on the movement then hand levers to pull the pin vice directly up, of course you would want to stop as soon as it was loose and pull the pin vice off with your hands so that the weight of the pin vice didnt lean, unsupported, and potentially bend the seconds pinion. 

Edited by Ishima