ETA 2782 stem/pinion slip

Chopin

I had to remove the movement on a watch that I just got to clean it up and all and when I wanted to insert the (cleaned and lubed) stem back into the movement something may have happened on the inside and now it goes all the way in but comes out as well and obviously it's not moving anything on the inside.

I'm suspecting that the pinion or whatever it's called inside has slipped or something like that. What would be the easiest route to fix this ? Can I do it from the back side as I don't feel like removing the hands and the calendar wheel and all that... Would this be easy ?

I have partially disassembled the movement from the back and most likely the pinion holding the small wheel that the stem goes through had slipped off.

Problem solved now but I believe that for this type of movement you shouldn't remove the stem with the crown pulled but pushed all the way in. This is how it worked for me to remove it and reinstall it while testing.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Could you print the image either enlarged or reduce the the same size as the actual part and then glue it to the steel. 
    • Next is to drill the screwhole this then provides an anchor point so the bridge doesnt slip around while scribing the shape. A cork lid, a pin and a piece of gaffer tape ( 😅 ) keeps it all in place. The hole is measured from the broken part using a hand measuring gauge. Mark the hole, punch it and drill it off to size. The awkward bit is working out where the jumper should be and the detent positions.  I remember watching a youtuber a while back do this with dividers, so i dug out my old school compasses and improvised a little. This bridge only has one hole and to find the detent positions you need two points of reference, so i just worked the second point from one of the corners, hopefully its near enough. Then scribe in the jumper using the two detent positions ( wind and time set ) that were marked and a big picture of the complete spring to look at that helps to give you a feel of where the jumper should be.   
    • Right now I'm making do with a similar micrometer (the one below is $45 shipped but you can find better deals) and a $20 stand. You do have to be excruciatingly careful measuring jewels, since there's no table, but if you don't have the $500 to throw around, it's a nice option.
    • As  I kid, I'd watch Godzilla stomping over buildings and cars and I'd think to myself: Tokyo is a really dangerous place to live... . Cool watch!!
    • Next one up an AS 554, looks like a bit more to this one. First job is to check thickness, most springs are somewhere between .3 and .4, this one measures .35, that matches in with the .4 spring steel i ordered. So for marking up a permanent marker comes in handy to colour up the steel to be marked later with a scriber once its dry. Bestfit provide the extra bit of info for the jumper spring that is missing.