Casio AMW320R - Tachy ring removal, crystal replacement

Hi,

I know it is not nearly as fancy as many of the watches discussed on this site.  But, I have a Casio AMW320R that has always been my favorite watch for working in the yard, etc.  Pictures don't show it very well, but the crystal is quite scratched and in serious need of replacement.  But, before I can remove the crystal, I (think) I need to remove the "tachy" ring (not sure what its real name is) that surrounds the crystal from the front of the watch.

I am assuming it is press-fit onto the watch case, but leery to remove it by just trying to pry it off.  

Questions:

1) Has anyone removed a "tachy" ring from a Casio sports watch?  Any tricks/secrets/suggestions?

2) Once that is off I have a watch press that I can remove the crystal with.  Does anyone know whether this type of crystal is a press fit, needs glue, or both, when I replace it?

This will be my first repair other than changing batteries, etc.  I have fine tools (including watch tools) but again, I am a little leery.  If I am successful with this, my next project is replacing a chipped crystal on my wife's Bullova (finer/newer watch than mine) as well as the crystal on my son's Skagen, which has a propensity to crack crystals (I suspect the case is slightly off round causing uneven stress on the crystal, as this will be the 3rd one.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has suggestions

bruce

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

IMG_2771.JPG

That is called a bezel and it can easily be removed as clockboy said.

Indeed it comes off by simply placing something like like the blade of a knife (one that is not sharpened as that might damage the metal). I use one of my case back knives which are intended for this kind of job as well.

The bezel itself comes off easy but you have to find the right spot where to lift it off. So what you have to do is insert it in a certain spot, try to slowly pry it off, perhaps try rotating the bezel a little bit. If it won't come off then try a different spot until it comes out.

They usually come out easily but sometimes it takes a bit of patience.

• 3 weeks later...