EB 8810 hour and minute hand not moving

Movement has been stripped down completely, cleaned and oiled.

I was told that this part right below might be the culprit. That there's supposed to be a certain amount of friction between the 2 wheels and only this way will other wheels advance and, thus, set in motion the hour and minute hand wheels.

I have not disassembled these 2 wheels so far and I wanted to know if I should even bother. Also, I don't understand the principle behind it. If it's true that there is supposed to be some friction why did they make it like this ?

It's true that there isn't a lot of friction between the 2 wheels on my movement but still...

What could be done ?

https://s2.postimg.org/yfcn610hz/WP_20170804_10_45_54_Pro.jpghttps://s2.postimg.org/5qzp2sybt/WP_20170804_10_46_09_Pro.jpg

Hello,

I would do a direct replacement if you suspect that part, because it does require friction. Also, check to make sure that the drive train is properly seated...these are unusual movements in that there are 4 plate holes, but beside that couple gear you're having trouble with, only THREE should be occupied. I had this same issue where the darn thing was running but no drive gear was engaged because one of the gear was in the wrong place! I've never seen anything like it,but the design permits this error. I have extra coupled gear if you need one. Just send me your ship info via PM. In the mean time, check your gear placement:

DSCN2633.thumb.jpg.97c04a15c1584251563a09e5ea23c883.jpg

DSCN2632.jpg

DSCN2631.jpg

DSCN2630.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you @noirrac1j indeed there are 4 holes but only three are needed. They most likely made those plates for other movements as well which required an extra wheel hole.

All the wheels were and are just like in your pictures and I can see them rotating on the inside. The only one that is not rotating is the small wheel of the part that I pictured in my first post.

Is the "coupled gear" the 2 wheels that I pictured ? If so, I might take you up on the offer but I wouldn't want someone to waste their parts just yet so that's why I want to see if there's a fix to this issue.

How exactly does that part work anyway ? What creates friction between those 2 wheels ?

I think the tension on the couple gear is created by the small curved clip that holds it together....probably that curved clipped loses tension over time or with hard use.  The coupled wheel is indeed pictured in the second image that also shows the escape wheel. That coupled wheel gears with the setting wheel (which cannot be removed) on one end, and the drive gears/barrel gears on the other, so it is responsible for transmission of power directly to the hands. I have lots of spare parts, so don't worry about that! I see you live in Europe, so I would just have to determine shipping, which is a small thing.

JC 

• Like 1

You are spot on about everything. Weird that they made the setting wheel non-removable, I noticed that myself.

I have wondered whether the small clip is indeed the one that should keep friction between the two wheels but I didn't notice anything wrong with it and it seems OK to me but, who knows, it might not keep the small wheel in the desired place...

I have left you a PM. Thank you for your help so far! :)