Cronel Pin Pallet watch

I stumbled across a NOS Cronel 'digital' pin pallet watch the other day and couldn't resist it.

I knew it was a cheap and nasty watch but I was hooked by the pure gimick of it and I had been wanting to get a jump watch for some time, although this isn't really a jump watch as the hour doesn't jump, it just rotates slowly over.

I've never worked on a pin pallet watch before so my question is what sort of oil should I use on the pin pallet?

I'm assuming just a tiny amount on one pin and let it work its own way around the escape wheel.

Should I use 9415 like I would on a leaver escapement, or just 9010?

The watch is actually in very good condition, just the oil is all gummed up as I don't think it has ever been used.

cronel1.jpg

cronel2.jpg

I stumbled across a NOS Cronel 'digital' pin pallet watch the other day and couldn't resist it.

I knew it was a cheap and nasty watch but I was hooked by the pure gimick of it and I had been wanting to get a jump watch for some time, although this isn't really a jump watch as the hour doesn't jump, it just rotates slowly over.

I've never worked on a pin pallet watch before so my question is what sort of oil should I use on the pin pallet?

I'm assuming just a tiny amount on one pin and let it work its own way around the escape wheel.

Should I use 9415 like I would on a leaver escapement, or just 9010?

The watch is actually in very good condition, just the oil is all gummed up as I don't think it has ever been used.

cronel1.jpg

cronel2.jpg

Hey there. Nice watch....This is one of the faster beat pin pallets, and I use 9415.

JC

• Like 1

Thanks, that was my guess, but wanted someone to confirm it.

Its currently running very erratically, but I'm pretty sure that is just due to gummed up oil so a good clean and oil should fix it.

Thanks, that was my guess, but wanted someone to confirm it.

Its currently running very erratically, but I'm pretty sure that is just due to gummed up oil so a good clean and oil should fix it.

I have spares including a complete running BFG 582 movement if you need any parts: cost would be nothing but shipping to Perth!

J

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

I hadn't even got as far as identifying the movement.

As long as SWMBO doesn't give me another job to do I'm going to strip it down tonight and hopefully clean it and reassemble tomorrow night. The case is in near perfect condition and still has the vinyl clear protective disk on the back of the watch.

I've just got the movement out of the case and I've hit my first hurdle, I cant decide if the minute wheel is just a friction fit and you lift it off by levering on the brass centre disk from the slots in the plastic outer disk, or if it is held in place by some other means I haven't seen.

Any tips on getting the minute wheel off without damaging it?

movement1.jpg

After doing a bit more research I decided it could only be a friction fit, but none of my leavers were small enough, so I made a snew set out of 1/16 inch silver steel and removed the minut wheel.

The movement is now all dismantled except the barrel which hopefully I will find time to do tomorrow.

After doing a bit more research I decided it could only be a friction fit, but none of my leavers were small enough, so I made a snew set out of 1/16 inch silver steel and removed the minut wheel.
The movement is now all dismantled except the barrel which hopefully I will find time to do tomorrow.

Yes yes, it is friction fit. Place two hand removing levers (or .60mm screwdrivers) into the two slits snd gently pry it up...take your time.
Joe

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk