Setting teeth not fully engaging

I think the setting lever spring could be the answer? If you look at the this   picture? There is some play until the setting lever engage? 592c261344a20_settinglever.JPG.a157b1aa4142e0e7a061125b9ff364eb.JPG

If the setting lever spring would be a little shorter there would be no play. Could the setting lever spring have been homemade at some point? 

That would make it press the small distance that is needed to engage the teeth proberly? 

Edited by rogart63

Here's a screen dump comparing mine with another example I found. Impossible to get an exact match as the the shots aren't both at the same angle vertically - I've corrected as best I can but I'm out of practice with PS.

AM-comp.jpg

I think the setting lever spring could be the answer? If you look at the this   picture? There is some play until the setting lever engage? 592c261344a20_settinglever.JPG.a157b1aa4142e0e7a061125b9ff364eb.JPG

If the setting lever spring would be a little shorter there would be no play. Could the setting lever spring have been homemade at some point? 

That would make it press the small distance that is needed to engage the teeth proberly? 

Where is the setting spring located?

Roy

The spring tensioning the rocker (setting spring?) is the problem - so obvious now. When in the setting position, relieving the pressure exerted by this spring causes the teeth to fully engage. Why I hadn't just tried this baffles me (like much else.)

What's the best way to de-tension this without futzing the spring up completely?

Thanks for the inspiration/advice!

Roy

Edited by skridlov
Eureka

It may be a complete red herring but I had a similar problem to you with the crown gear not engaging properly on a movement I had purchased. I was concentrating on the keyless works initially but the problem was on the other side of the watch ... it turns out it was the crown wheel screw not tightened enough (and which on most movements is usually a case of turning anti-clockwise to tighten). Just thought this was worth a mention!

• Like 1