Cheers mates!!

Im working on a Lemania 3000 – Hand wound, small seconds. Had to change the balance spring. Beacuse it got so badley tangled when I was cleaning it in isopropanol due to some stickye issues. Think I have sorted that out, but after putting all parts togheter. It runs very slow like - 967 sec/d. When im looking at the stud that holds the spring (see photo), I think that this is not tight enough, and that cause not managing regulating the watch, Am I right?  How tight should it be? How to tighten it?

Edited by arkobugg

3 minutes ago, arkobugg said:

Cheers mates!!

Im working on a Lemania 3000 – Hand wound, small seconds. Had to change the balance spring. Beacuse it got so badley tangled when I was cleaning it in isopropanol due to some stickye issues. Think I have sorted that out, but after putting all parts togheter. It runs very slow like - 967 sec/d. When im looking at the stud that holds the spring (see photo), I think that this is not tight enough, and that cause not managing regulating the watch, Am I right?  How tight should it be? How to tighten it? Just use some tweezers without the spring, and forve the spring in after?

Uten navn.jpg

Edited by arkobugg

20 hours ago, Cad101 said:

Looks ok to me my question is was it just the hairspring or the complete balance with hairspring you replaced.

Hello, saw you answer just now, just the hairspring..

If we start with beginning, the watch did not go at all. So I took it apart and cleaned it like I always do:

1) I let the parts spin in white spirit for ten minutes (turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum)

2) Then I spin for 10 minutes in methylated spirit

3) Then I finish with a 1 minute spin in isopropyl alcohol

What you think of this cleaning method?

Put it together and saw that is was very fast, saw also that the balance spring was sticky, so I demagnetized, and tried, but the same. Then I took and cleaned once more in isopropyl alcohol. And while it was drying, I pushed it out on the floor, and it was all tangled up. Shame on me, but thats life...

While I was working with this I also saw that the beat error was like 3,1 ms.

So I got hold of a spring from this company http://www.urdelar.se I don't remember what it said on the web site, this was the only one they had, and the photon taken away from the web site. But this spring is coming from another balance wheel.

I thought as well I could use only the spring, because. I had to set the bear error right as well, by setting the spring on the staff aligned with the pallet fork center.

So I did, put up balance wheel onto the bearing, made two marks on the balance wheel, and one for the pinning point. Mounted the spring, and mounted in to the watch...

And here we are...

What you think is the solution on this

20 hours ago, Cad101 said:

Looks ok to me my question is was it just the hairspring or the complete balance with hairspring you replaced.

It's always difficult replacing a hairspring as it is vibrated to the balance itself in the factory. Yours would need repinning shorter which isn't an easy task at all and yours is more difficult being a brequet over coiled one which means repositioning the over coil when its shortened to allow regulation its a fiddly job to say the least. It's often easier to replace the whole balance with hairspring.

Are you sure it's running slow, ie. the timegrapher is showing the correct beat rate? Just in case it is actually running far too fast......

You could try removing two screws at the neutral point of the balance wheel. I recommend using a balance wheel screw vice / holder for that.

On 21.4.2017 at 6:53 PM, Cad101 said:

It's always difficult replacing a hairspring as it is vibrated to the balance itself in the factory. Yours would need repinning shorter which isn't an easy task at all and yours is more difficult being a brequet over coiled one which means repositioning the over coil when its shortened to allow regulation its a fiddly job to say the least. It's often easier to replace the whole balance with hairspring.

Hello, thanks for helping Cad 101....

First of all, I need an an confirmation that my cleaning method is good enough. Kan you give me an feedback on that?

This is how I clean:

1) I let the parts spinn in white spirit for ten minutes this the same as this: (turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum))

2) Then I spin for 10 minutes in methylated spirit

3) Then I finish with a 1 minute spinn in isopropyl alcohol, just to wash out....

So if this is okay to do it, I will go forward with my question:

So you mean, that is to hard task to fix, and the best way to solve this is to replace the whole balance with hairspring?

Best regards

Armand

On 21.4.2017 at 6:57 PM, rodabod said:

Are you sure it's running slow, ie. the timegrapher is showing the correct beat rate? Just in case it is actually running far too fast......

You could try removing two screws at the neutral point of the balance wheel. I recommend using a balance wheel screw vice / holder for that.

Hello Rodabod, 

Thanks for helping

I have just had the weekend of, so I will measure the Lemania in the timegrapher on monday. I will come back to you on those questions... have a good evening ,,,

Best Regards

Armand