Watch strap/band width

Hey gang,

I have a quick question about watch strap sizing. I recently purchased a decent looking old Hamilton watch, but it came with a really bad stretchy band. I had an extra 18mm leather strap and put it on there. It looks really nice except the buckle is silver and the watch is gold. So, I wanted to purchase a new strap with a gold buckle. The 18mm strap fits pretty well with a bit of side play. I measured the distance between lugs with my calipers, and it is 19.05mm. Should I get a 19mm strap, or would that be too tight (either in daily use or to get tools in there)? Do you normally go for as tight as you can fit?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, mmitchelmoss said:

Hey gang,

I have a quick question about watch strap sizing. I recently purchased a decent looking old Hamilton watch, but it came with a really bad stretchy band. I had an extra 18mm leather strap and put it on there. It looks really nice except the buckle is silver and the watch is gold. So, I wanted to purchase a new strap with a gold buckle. The 18mm strap fits pretty well with a bit of side play. I measured the distance between lugs with my calipers, and it is 19.05mm. Should I get a 19mm strap, or would that be too tight (either in daily use or to get tools in there)? Do you normally go for as tight as you can fit?

Thanks

Some older watches take 19mm straps instead of 20mm. Go with 19mm, it will fit. 

J