A "puerta" For A Tenner...

WillFly

Just took  a pop at this one on eBay. I usually don't bother with a watch where there are no pics of the movement, but I thought I'd take a punt on this. If it's reasonable, I'll fit a new strap and keep it - if not, I'll stick it back on the Bay...

post-64-0-10783700-1404056872_thumb.jpg

Edited by WillFly

Nice looking watch WillFly. Looks like a keeper! Look at the crown, you may want to ask if it is in the normal position to the seller. I believe it is a little forward probably to hack the second for the picture. In any case, it should not keep you from such a beautiful, swiss made watch. Did the seller comment on the movement?

There's some method in my madness, Geo. I trawl through eBay on a regular basis, looking for watches with about a day or two to go and with low bids on them. After weeding out the obvious crap, I look carefully at the remainder and see if there's anything worth going for at a reasonable snipe.

The object is to find some bargains (as far as one can tell), because there's a lot of snobbery in the watch buying world - and there are a lot of obscure watch makes which are practically unknown but which use good, standard, Swiss ébauches for their movements. So, for example, the City and Actua watches I got recently were at very low prices - and had really good movements in them. They're keepers. If, after a while, some purchases are not quite up to scratch, then I'll sell them on - cleaned, checked, new strapped and crystalled if need be - usually for a profit to buy something else.

So far, I've been reasonably lucky with the "cheapies", as I call them - so we'll see what the Puerta has inside it when it arrives!

Edited by WillFly

The Puerta arrived this morning - all 21 jewels of it! It's not a bad little watch, for the price - under a tenner. The picture of the face gives the impression that the batons are distorted, but that's just the watch glass. It appears to be keeping time so far. I've taken a manky old bracelet off it, so I shall get a cheap-ish strap for it to tart it up.

I don't think the movement's anything special, in spite of its 21 jewels (which doesn't mean a lot), so I may well parcel up a few of my "cheapies", flog them on, and get myself something sweet...

Anyone got a spare Jaeger-Le-Coulter "Reverso"...? :crazysmile:

post-64-0-29639900-1404202920_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-60285700-1404202936_thumb.jpg

Edited by WillFly

Yes, the curved glass does that to pictures. By the way, it looks very clean and vintage. No incablock and I see a screw at 1 o'clock in the pic that seems to have some shading including the area around it but it may well be the photo. Also, the click spring area....mmm I can't put my finger on it but is like the design is very simple and effective. I'm most curious about the reserve and if it winds normally (without slipping, etc.). The blue pivot seats to the right of the balance, are those jewels or bushings?

I believe the blue pivot seats are jewels. It winds very positively, with a very firm click. I'll see how the power reserve has lasted tomorrow - I'm going to let it run its course - and we'll see what we get from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it strapped up and tested yesterday. It went fine after a full wind and a day on my wrist but, after a full wind this morning, it stopped now and then when I put it down, so I think a good clean  is in order. Pics:

post-64-0-33985600-1405006298_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-16879200-1405006311_thumb.jpg

Edited by WillFly