Omega crystal replacement (tension ring)

deloidtoc

I watched the Speedmaster crystal replacement video by mark (using the Robur press). I wish there was a video on the same topic but with front loading Omegas.

I'm getting conflicting advice regarding the approach to the front loader Omegas with the tension ring.

1 I'm told to never place the crystal with the bezel attached to the case (mvt out of course)

2 I'm told that it's OK to press fit the crystal just as in the Speedmaster video

3 I'm told to approach this backwards by sliding the bezel onto the crystal and pushing it down most of the way with the tension ring removed. then, replace the tension ring and press the bezel down all the way.

I'm hoping mark can jump in on this one but any advice would be appreciated.

P.S.  Yes, I know the generics generally can negatively impact the watch movement due to the fit. I'm using authentic Omega crystals.

Aloha deloidtoc ,

I always remove the bezel to replace a crystal . Some watches look like they have a removable bezel , but upon closer inspection , it is just the design of the case , therefore there is nothing to remove . 

On some watches the crystal is held in with the bezels,...some Seikos for instance , and there is no tension ring . A friction fit holds both the crystal and bezel on the case . A crystal press is used for this with pressure on the bezel .

On some front loading watches , the Omega Cosmic is a good example , the case back is stamped with the proper size Omega tool to use to remove and replace the crystal .

Screen shot 2016-12-21 at 11.22.25 PM.png

I don't have that particular tool so to remove the crystal I use one of three methods and tools .         I have removed crystals from a few different types of front loading watches using the method Mark illustrates on one of his videos using air pressure . I separate the 2 piece stem , place the watch in a plastic baggie to seal the watch air-tite , puncture a tiny hole in the baggie at the stem tube , use my bicycle pump for air pressure , and use the needle from a turkey flavor injector . The injector is like a large medical syringe used to inject the turkey with juice . The back of the needle fits my bike pump and the needle part mates up pretty good with the stem tube . A quick push on the pump handle and the crystal pops off.    I tried using the plastic injector/syringe but didn't get a good result . Now that the crystal is off you have to figure out how to re-install it to line up the crystal and press it on . 

That brings us to method #2... Using a vigor type of crystal lift to not only re-install the crystal , but to remove it in the first place .

Screen shot 2016-12-21 at 11.18.05 PM.png

Method #3 is the best . I have a Seiko S 14 one piece case opener tool that fits many crystals ,[ but not all ] .  Put the proper die in the hand tool and squeeze until the crystal compresses enough to lift from the case . The hand tool has a sliding lever that holds the crystal at the right tension to refit to the case when I'm ready to close it up .

Screen shot 2016-12-21 at 11.19.20 PM.png

In fitting a new crystal with either the crystal lift or the Seiko tool you use the base that accompanies the tool to get the proper amount of free crystal under the tool to fit into the case , then you release the tension on the tool and at the same time put a little bit of pressure on top of the crystal to make sure it settles in the case . 

A tension ring would stay in the crystal .

need to know exactly what style case you have. some omegas the crystal just pushes in, but most of the devilles and front loaders are different. on those where the bezel pops  off-  its removable for a reason.  because you cant push the crystal through the bezel on those. you must push the bezel up onto the crystal from the bottom, and then press the two pieces onto the case at once. once the crystal is seated the bezel will snap in the rest of the way by hand... 

• 3 years later...

I’m a little late to the party, but this is something that I have been wondering for a while too. 

After quite an extensive period of research, I thought I was ready to try replacing the crystal on my Seamaster De Ville. Didn’t turn out very well! I was really mad at myself for shattering the crystal. Fortunately I kept the dial and movement out of the way as I anticipated something bad would happen. It has been a few months since I attempted and I’m over this tragedy. I have yet to attempt it again though! I will attach a photo of the disaster. 

On 12/23/2016 at 1:29 AM, IllinoisWatch said:

because you cant push the crystal through the bezel on those.

As you mentioned here illinoiswatch, I tried to press the crystal into the bezel from the front but the tension ring seemed to be preventing the crystal from fitting into the bezel. That’s when the crystal shattered. 

Would you mind clarifying the following point?  I can’t quite picture the ‘push the bezel up onto the crystal from the bottom’ part in my mind. 

On 12/23/2016 at 1:29 AM, IllinoisWatch said:

you must push the bezel up onto the crystal from the bottom, and then press the two pieces onto the case at once. once the crystal is seated the bezel will snap in the rest of the way by hand... 

I would love to have the confidence to try this again sometime! Until then, the watch will only be sitting around :( 

C717CA9B-66DC-41EA-91CA-9D3E76F83330.thumb.jpeg.f4a940bed18a1361184efadd678d6a02.jpeg

Hold the loose bezel in your left hand with the top facing up just as it is when installed on the watch. With your right hand enter the bezel from below with the crystal (tension ring inserted). Once the bezel is about half way on the crystal I us my fingers and fingernails to push the bezel all the way down onto the crystal. I do this with the crystal sitting on a firm surface. Once it's on properly I use the press to push the bezel onto the watch.

And Bob's your Uncle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 6:55 AM, deloidtoc said:

Hold the loose bezel in your left hand with the top facing up just as it is when installed on the watch. With your right hand enter the bezel from below with the crystal (tension ring inserted). Once the bezel is about half way on the crystal I us my fingers and fingernails to push the bezel all the way down onto the crystal. I do this with the crystal sitting on a firm surface. Once it's on properly I use the press to push the bezel onto the watch.

And Bob's your Uncle.

Right, I just gave your advice a read. I take it that you managed to install it fine in the end.

I will also give it a try and see how it goes! Thank you!

On 7/31/2020 at 6:55 AM, deloidtoc said:

And Bob's your Uncle.

Just gave it a try, and it awfully tight! I couldn't manage to press the bezel onto the crystal. I managed to get one "side" down, but the rest of the bezel just wouldn't want to fit on, and I'm afraid of the bezel bending. Is this what you experienced as well, or am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks for all the advice!