What are these dots?

szbalogh

The picture showing two movement from around the same deceade, ~1900. Both swiss. The left one is a LeCoultre and the right one has FHF logo. But what are those dots in the edge of the bridges? The left one has two, the right has four in each bridge and even in the mainplate on the dial side and in the mainspring barel cover.

2016-11-15_21_49_59.jpeg

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Marks made by an apprentice. No qualified watch repairer/maker would need to do something like that on such simple movements.

Even a master would need markings when having multiple movements of a same type in parts on the bench. As indicated above that did guarantee that parts stayed together. It was necessary as tolerances weren't good at the times, and during manufacturing each part was manually adapted to each other.

This type of pocket watch movement is not as early as you might think they were manufactured as late as 1900. When I say manufactured they were made and put together in a factory by many people not just one watchmaker. So I stick by my original explanation because the factory would run out of marks, besides you don't see them on every movement of this type.